Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Stupid Banjo!

Now that I’m finally getting the hang of playing Scruggs style (poorly), I find I need to learn to play clawhammer.
I got really tired of playing where people would assume the banjo is just for the “Beverly Hillbillies” crowd. I would explain that there are several different ways of playing America’s Greatest Musical Instrument. There’s Scruggs style, but there’s also Keith, or Melodic, style as well as clawhammer or frailing.
“Oh yeah? How does that go?”
So I can play a bit of Devils Dream to show melodic, but the train stops at clawhammer. I decided I better learn one or two songs in clawhammer style for demonstration purposes. Which means just when I thought I was ready to be an Intermediate, I’m a Beginner again.
Thank goodness Ben is hooking up Gold Pick members with Dave Dillard for a clawhammer lesson Tuesday night!
Thanks, Ben!

5 Likes

Your hardly getting started @BanJoe and should you decide to head down that path be sure to tell Heath I sent you. :rofl::banjo:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, Archie. Nothing I needed more than an increases in my information overload!:grin:

2 Likes

Well, I just took a crack at the blues videos. I turned out to be seven times easier than I thought it would be and 10 times more fun!!

Regards,

Ban"Delta" Joe

2 Likes

Yes these are mostly following the blues scale so not too difficult to get your head round. I like his lessons because a lot of what he teaches is in the key of D standard G tuning with the 5th string spiked. Adds to ones knowledge of the fingerboard.

1 Like

I do love the sound of playing in D with the 5th string spiked! It’s just right!

1 Like

I gotta say the clawhammer lesson with Dave Dillard went well last night. He’s a fine teacher!
I’m looking forward to getting the link for the replay since I didn’t absorb everything.
But I hope to be playing “Soldier’s Joy” pretty soon!

3 Likes