Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

String replacement

Hay folks how often should I change my strings they have been on for well over 2 years and I have been with Ben coming up on a year during the time with BanjoBen I practice about 1-3 hours a day (most days) before I joined Ben it was very little. so let me know if BanjoBen replies I will follow my teachers recommendation thanks to all, and a Joyous and Merry Christmas , God Bless.

2 Likes

If you’re practicing 1 to 3 hours every day, I’d change my strings at LEAST every 6 months… probably more like every 3 months. I’m betting if you changed them right now, you’d notice a world of difference in tone.

4 Likes

That much practice calls for changing them like every 2 weeks for me! :slight_smile:

But like @Mark_Rocka said, definitely change them now.

4 Likes

If you are like me, the oils and acids from my hands tend to cause the strings to corrode fairly quickly. I try to change my strings at least ever 2 months. When I notice the tone start to diminish, I know its time to change…

3 Likes

thanks to all I got a good Idea from all your input I’ll start with once a month and move up or down from there now to order the strings just checked my stand by pack and missing two strings well time to order as my local music shop it closed. thanks again

2 Likes

Well turns out I do have a full set of strings ghs strings PF 160 so tomorrow change them out !

1 Like

Just changed mine out yesterday it had been awhile. Definitely can tell a big difference. I don’t practice as much as you but I was going to start a new regimen of every 2mo. Also if you don’t already have some I would recommend some ghs fast fret. It really helps lengthen the life of your strings IMHO.

3 Likes

Please change. And watch the first minute of this groundbreaking video:

8 Likes

I’ve been on the same strings for over a year, but several months of that I was in a different country than my banjo

2 Likes

HAHA!! Are you talking about the first piece of advice or the Second??? :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: Personally i don’t think that @BanjoBen should be giving out that second piece of advice. After all, who’s underwear were for sale at the general store??

4 Likes

I happen to know the guy that bought them. :smirk:

4 Likes

yea sorry :frowning_face: I found the video after I asked the question, but I got them changed :smiley: ah… SQUIRREL !

1 Like

oh no… please not you!!

2 Likes

No, it wasn’t me… but I can say without a doubt that they’re in a better place now. I’ll see if he might be willing to chime in on the subject. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

oh boy

1 Like

Anyone who would buy used underwear is a doggone foo’!

…although I’ve heard there was a slight spike in value since they were purchased earlier this year. My sources have told me they have re-surfaced and are currently on consignment in Missouri or Montana — whichever is the MO one.

The rumor mill has it that they are not only pre-virus era but they also have the original one piece elastic flange. Bring your checkbook and be prepared to take a loan out against the farm — unless you have a coupon code of course.
This is all just hear say and I could be making it all up
Hard to tell one way or t’other
:man_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

Wow. That was pretty good :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have provided much entertainment for me this year, and for that I thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben your teaching, hummer and Insperation have made this year so very much more. And the joy I get from playing I could not buy. Merry Christmas

2 Likes