Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

String recommendation for a hand-me-down Mandolin

A relative dropped off a Rogue RM-100A mandoline they picked up at a yard sale, so I’m going to give it a go. This is my first attempt at the Mandolin, but the first thing I need to do is change the strings. Any suggestions on what strings to put on that will make it easy to play? So far, it doesn’t stay in tune so I’ll see if I can tighten up the tuners.

2 Likes

These are my daily strings of choice: https://store.banjobenclark.com/collections/mandolin-strings/products/daddario-ej74-phosphor-bronze-medium-gauge-mandolin-strings

3 Likes

Thanks. Order placed. It’s nice to be over here in the Mandolin group for a brief moment.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Mandolin group @Brent.H Brent, where capos are seldom scene :upside_down_face:, and funky rhythms frequently happen. Happy to see you over on this side!

I’ve got 3 mandos in 3 “grades”; higher, medium, and lower (thats the one that goes tent camping…) These have been my favs across all 3 instruments: the med Daddario ej74’s. Also liking the GHS medium phosphor bronze, which are a fairly new addition for me.

I dont know what strings would make it easier to play… but… the “lower” was my 1st mando & it came thru with light strings, and to be honest, the mediums felt much better under the fingers than the lights did - and that was observed immediately - with me being a total rank beginner of any stringed instrument.

Well - now you’ve gotta keep us up to date on your mandolin journey, however “brief” it is!
Happy picking!! :grin:

5 Likes