Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

String question

What is the difference in sound between medium and light gauge strings? I’m playing my new twanger and it doesn’t have that well twang like @BanjoBen’s in his lessons and I was wondering if is because I’m playing with medium gauge strings? Now don’t take this as a complaint I LOVE this banjo, just curious.

3 Likes

I hear that the strings that come stock on the Twanger hinder its tone a bit. I’d suggest trying PF135s, PF185s, or of course the Banjo Ben signature set (I like the light gauge).

4 Likes

I heard that too so I changed them to Banjo Ben signatures medium I think I want the lights though

2 Likes

@Mark_Rocka has said a number of times that the light strings help that imensly. SO, that could be your problem.

4 Likes

Yes, it is DEFINITELY the medium strings. I was admittedly a little disappointed in the sound of my Twanger when I pulled it out of the box. I put a set of Elixir nanoweb lights on it and it opened right up. I’ve played with several different strings on it, but those are my favorite. Ben’s brand comes in as my second fave, and a lot cheaper than Elixirs.

5 Likes

Thanks guys this helps alot.

4 Likes

That’s like saying I play all the notes that Earl played but I sure don’t sound like Earl banjo

Just say’n it isn’t always the banjo, there are other factors in play here like @BanjoBen 's sound system.

5 Likes

I’m a Twanger owner from the first batch and agree with @Michael_Mark and @Mark_Rocka (and the rest) about the need to try out the light gage strings. It made all the difference for me as well. In my case, I’d never owned a resonator back or played on medium strings before anyway…and it was all just too much of a change for me to get used to so quickly. I still prefer to play on the strings these two guys described.

5 Likes

Hey at @Mark_Rocka where did you pick up your Elixir nanoweb lights. I noticed Ben’s store has Elixir polyweb lights are they comparable. Thanks

2 Likes

I think polywebs have a thicker coating than nanowebs. I like them both, but have preferred the nanos if I have the choice. I pick mine up from a local music store. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the nanos in the Gen Store.

3 Likes

@Mark_Rocka is correct. The polywebs have a bit thicker coating. Unfortunately, I think that Elixir must have discontinued the nanowebs for banjo. I’m not able to find them.

5 Likes

Thanks @Mark_Rocka & @AdamAsh. I was looking as well and couldn’t find them and that’s why I asked.

1 Like

8 Likes

@Mark_Rocka have you tried these yet?
https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/d-addario-xt-stainless-steel-light-09-20-banjo-strings

6 Likes

Oh, I have not. I’ll pick some up while at camp. Thanks!

3 Likes