Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Steve Martin's Banjo Teacher

When he was in high school in Colorado, Steve Martin had a friend who actually owned a real banjo, and this friend taught him some of his first banjo lessons.
After high school, their paths went in different directions, only to meet up again years later.

And for a little bit more on the subject…

4 Likes

Thank goodness the youtube showed a video of typing an email when he said he sent an email, a picture of vince gill when he said he talked to vince gill and a video of sending a fax when he said he sent a fax, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to follow what was going on.

I know what you mean. It’s like teaching a forward roll by saying “thumb, index, middle” and showing a picture of somebody’s thumb, index & middle fingers doing a roll. Where’s the cinematic creativity in that?

Well, my point is that these youtubers always feel like they have to add something when nothing is needed. A good interview is all that’s needed to be shown. It just detracts to me rather than adds,

I agree. More bells & whistles don’t make it better, but it gives them the chance to explore their digital creativity. After a while. they will come to realize substance trumps style. But first, we have to tolerate their thrill at knowing which buttons to click to make the monkey do a little dance.

1 Like

Hello @Banjoe,

Thanks for introducing me to John McEuen and his incredible banjo skills. I knew of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but I hadn’t really heard much about him before watching that late-night clip. That was quite enlightening.

One thing that really caught my attention was his ‘retuning on the fly’ technique.

Before that, I’d never imagined a banjo could sound like anything other than, well, a banjo.

It’s amazing how he can create such unique sounds by adjusting the tuning mid-song. Definitely added a whole new dimension to my banjo appreciation.

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

That’s what we’re here for. Sharing songs & stories.
I’m glad you got something from it!