Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Staying planted

Having played the guitar for years with a non planted hand I have trouble keeping my hand planted. I’m determined to do it. When I don’t think about planting my hand goes free. Any advice on how to be disciplined on keeping my hand planted?

2 Likes

Just curious, why do you want to plant? It’s definetly not something you have to do to be a good picker. In general, just do what ever feels best for you.

@Shaky_loves_banjo I believe he’s referencing banjo planting.

As far as I can tell, the best way to do it is to just consciously keep the finger(s) planted until it happens naturally. There’s not really a ton of things that will make that easier, but it’s like breaking any other habit- it takes time. But I think it will come faster than you anticipate if you really commit to deliberately keeping those fingers down. :+1:

Ben also sells anchoring guides/pads in the store to help you practice anchoring. I’ve not tried these myself, but I’ve heard good results:
https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/banjo-ben-s-finger-anchor-picking-guide-pack-of-5

2 Likes

The little anchor rings helped my wife. She didn’t stick with banjo, but planting was a problem for her when she first played a bit and the anchor ring seems to be helpful.

2 Likes

Oops…One day I’ll learn to look at the Category :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I’m so in guitar mode I forgot about them things called banjers :joy:

2 Likes