Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

St. Petersburg, FL Spring 2021 1-Day Cabin Camp Now Open!

I told my daughter about the camp and about getting a mandolin.

Now she wants to dust off her Baby Taylor and learn some Christmas songs together. WIN!

She’s off at school, so we may have to jam via Zoom…………:slight_smile:

Can’t wait to get the material for the camp!

5 Likes

Any advice from some one who has done a one day camp?

2 Likes

No one has done one, including me! Ha! Let me know if you have specific questions. I can tell you that my plans so far will make it quite a busy day, but tons to take away and well worth the investment.

6 Likes

I’m super excited about it!

Any idea when the song selections will come out? I’ve got to start practicing!

Frank you could pick out a few tunes from previous tune lists the odds of picking a tune from the new list is pretty high. Even if you don’t pick a tune that’s on the new list you’ll still be practicing licks that will appear in the new tune list. Anything that has slides, hammer-ons and pull-offs will be beneficial, these are the fundamentals to everything we play.

2 Likes

Just got the list for the camp tunes.

It’s ON now…:):musical_score:

Yee ha!

3 Likes

OK, I’m in. That MT camp looked great being in June and being where it is but travel time and cost of travel were not ideal for me. St. Pete from middle Georgia is a totally different situation. Nervous about a March date and being ready. Appreciate some of the advice I’ve seen for beginners to focus on chord progressions.

3 Likes

Ok, one week until the St Pete camp and because of heavy work schedule, I have not touched my guitar in weeks (translation: lazy bum and its probably measured in months). Pulled her out of the case, cleaned her up, and changed the strings. At least she’ll look good. Not sure what I can do though, maybe I’ll just wear my Sunday best! (translation: comb my hair and wear something other than shorts and flip flops).

4 Likes

Hey @MarkofCourse, don’t you worry! We’re gonna have a BALL! Just plan on coming to have fun and I’ll make sure you do some learning on the side.

4 Likes

Hey Mark- you’ll be in good company on the not so ready for prime time!

2 Likes

Ya i like that. Banjo is mainly something to have fun with. once every gets ticked off at the noise, then you start learning it for real. Problem is you just start having even more fun, so, Just don’t pick up a banjo if you want to be miserable.

3 Likes

Great time at camp. Thanks Ben, Penny, Katy, Hannah and crew. Thanks as well to our gracious hosts who shared their home. Lots of new friends. Really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I was probably the least proficient guitarist there but was made to feel very welcome and a part of things. Hope it’s not the last one I attend.

5 Likes

1-Day cabin Camp: $300
New set of Guitar Strings: $15
Tank of gas to drive over: $33.50
A day making music with new friends: Priceless

It all came and went far too quickly, not sure how Ben measures success but its an upcheck in my book. It had the vibe of a day long House Concert with the ability to learn from and play with the pros. It really brings the online material much closer and personal. Now comes the hard part, practicing what Ben and Penny and Katy preached. When’s the next 3-day camp…hmmmm

6 Likes

Well, thank y’all for your kind words! Y’all were my one-day camp guinea pigs. It’s a bit of a challenge to know how to approach that limited time and I appreciate your grace. I sure had fun getting to know everyone!

3 Likes

The St. Pete Banjo Camp was really a fun time! I am so happy I got to get there and be part of the learning and the fellowship with other folks who clearly love music! Our hosts welcomed us so generously, like we were all old friends! I came home with the hopes of truly learning the many things ya’ll helped us with and hope our paths cross again! Binny Louise …Robin!

3 Likes

And now, one more thing! Thank you SO MUCH for playing for us, Penny, Katie, and Ben! Your playing music together has a wonderful energy! Every song was just amazing! Robin

4 Likes

What hotels are nearby the camp location?

Hi…I am signed up and remember seeing an email I marked to save with details such as some of the songs for the camp. Is there a place I can go to find these, or can they be resent? Had a computer issue…thanks.

1 Like

Hi @tsterling56 Terry welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. You should email Alicia Bowman alicia@banjobenclark.com she will be able to help you

Here’s the link to the song list for spring 2022 camps:

FYI, the thread we’re posting on now pertains to the spring 2021 St. Petersburg camp, which already took place.