Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Spoons & Mandolin Swallowtail Jig

Something unusual for your amusement :rofl:!!

16 Likes

Wow that’s cool, I’ve seen people play spoons before but not like that. By the way I love that song

5 Likes

good_post @Simone only one thing missing, your son should be dancin whilst performing with spoons.

The toon Is swallowtail Jig jig

4 Likes

Ok, loved it ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Very amusing! :joy::joy:
Great picking and clicking too

3 Likes

Thanks @TrevlyncM ! My Dad always played kitchen spoons or what he calls “bones” (2 mini oak stick like planks) in that particular way. I’ve never seen anyone else except him & my son play them like that either! He taught my son to play them when he was about 8 years old & I was constantly hunting for the kitchen utensils…:confounded:! Dad actually used to do the bones & harmonica at the same time. We recorded this as part of a “series” to cheer him up long distance as he’s recovering from being ill. He enjoyed it!

3 Likes

Thanks @Archie ! I will convey the message to my son that he needs to get out his dancin shoes, but don’t hold your breath :rofl::grin:!! He’s not much of a dancer… a prankster yes, but a dancer nope!

1 Like

Thanks @jon1 !! Glad to hear that! I was a tad reluctant to post it… :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @Dragonslayer !! Picking & Clicking, love it, that’s just great!!! :grin:

2 Likes

… Or dancin’as a result of them pesky ants! :ant:

Very nice @Simone!

1 Like

Thanks @WillCoop ! Haha funny you should mention the blasted ants, we recorded another video for Dad last nite, & were getting chewed by ‘lovely’ mosquitoes out in the field. And I mean ‘lovely’ in the most sarcastic way… :grin:

2 Likes

Big fan of any of the more obscure instruments, they are always cool and and off the hook. Very eclectic with that old timey sound and feel.

2 Likes

Thanx everyone for all the :purple_heart:, :blush:!!

2 Likes

Its definitely old timey, Dad’s 93 - there’s no telling where he learned that. He was in the Navy at age 16 during WW2, so it coulda been anywhere! It was very tricky trying to accompany spoons timingwise, he couldn’t play them slow enuff and I couldnt pick fast enuff :rofl::grin:!

3 Likes

Spoons and harmonica were a very popular skill amongst sailers at sea. Easy to stow and cheap on the pocket, plus made you popular amongst your shipmates! Not a lot going on out there entertainment wise so anything to cut the boerdum of life at sea.:sunglasses:

1 Like