Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Spikes or Shubb 5th String

My Stelling has spikes fitted at the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th frets. Perhaps not the most popular key but Bb does come up from time to time on certain tunes. I quite like Bb as it adds another colour to the sound palette.

You didn’t have them put in when you bought it?

More often than most fiddlers and mandolinists would prefer!

1 Like

I absolutely love Bb on the fiddle, mondo, and bass!

fingering the I & V with the III being open gives a great different sound and feeling of control to the instrument.

You seem to be the exception, based on mandolin cafe. And you’re also much more advanced than most folks who dislike it

Just a different position to figure out…I prefer it a lot over G or C for certain things

1 Like

well, I wrote a tune on guitar in Bb. but that’s G capoed three. I haven’t learned it on the fiddle yet though

1 Like

Cool

We’re kinda drifting off of the OP though

back to regular programing…

1 Like

If you don’t do 8, you’re gonna need 8. Do 8.

2 Likes

no Ben… but i don’t mind tackling them i’m pretty handy with woodwork and tools

i think 7,8,9,10 it is to cover most bases even though im not at the Capo stage of playing yet… i will be at some point

Thanks all for the replies

Hi Lee, Be sure to check out @Jake 's video before you get started. You will need a 1/32" drill bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70d73QEe7rg

ok thanks for that

No you will need a bit smaller than 1/32. The model rr spikes are less that that. Check out the deering link I posted above. It has dimensions for what you need.

Hi Joe, That’s what I used and what @Jake recommends in his vid. If your spikes are smaller then perhaps a smaller drill bit will be required. My only concern would be that the spikes may be a shade too narrow and would bend when you try to hammer them in.

I believe the spikes I used are H/0. image
1/32 may work, but there is no room for error.

Hi Joe, The link you posted is one @Jake did when he was with Janet Davis Music some time ago, he has a newer vid. As you say it all depends the gauge of the spikes used. If the spikes are narrow then you will want to use a narrower drill bit. It’s important that Lee carries out these checks before he starts work.

1 Like

I got my bits from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-steel-micro-drill-bit-set-30-pc-61526.html
The .024 bit was smaller than my drill chuck so I used a hobby knife to hold the bit. I know it is kinda hokey, but it worked.
IMG_4382 IMG_4383 IMG_4384
I followed the Deering instructions for installing the spike .286 inches up from the fret you want to capo. I used a .012 feeler gauge from a spark plug gap tool to stop the spike from going all the way in, just like @Jake recommends. Also, I installed my spikes to where the opening is at the top of the fret board not the bottom. That is the way my Deering came and I assumed is what most manufacturers do. I put the spike inline below the string and not above it.

1 Like

Thanks Guys i have looked at @jakes video and im sure that i can follow and install the spikes when i get the chance to

Thanks for all the comments they are well appreciated

Hi Guys

An update on fitting the railroad spikes, which I’ve just completed and as I only got 3 in the pack I’ve drilled the 10th ready. Other than being fiddley it’s pretty straight forward just get the right size drill bit which for me was a 0.75mm one

Here are the below and after pics

3 Likes