Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Spikes or Shubb 5th String

Hi Lee, Be sure to check out @Jake 's video before you get started. You will need a 1/32" drill bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70d73QEe7rg

ok thanks for that

No you will need a bit smaller than 1/32. The model rr spikes are less that that. Check out the deering link I posted above. It has dimensions for what you need.

Hi Joe, That’s what I used and what @Jake recommends in his vid. If your spikes are smaller then perhaps a smaller drill bit will be required. My only concern would be that the spikes may be a shade too narrow and would bend when you try to hammer them in.

I believe the spikes I used are H/0. image
1/32 may work, but there is no room for error.

Hi Joe, The link you posted is one @Jake did when he was with Janet Davis Music some time ago, he has a newer vid. As you say it all depends the gauge of the spikes used. If the spikes are narrow then you will want to use a narrower drill bit. It’s important that Lee carries out these checks before he starts work.

1 Like

I got my bits from Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/high-speed-steel-micro-drill-bit-set-30-pc-61526.html
The .024 bit was smaller than my drill chuck so I used a hobby knife to hold the bit. I know it is kinda hokey, but it worked.
IMG_4382 IMG_4383 IMG_4384
I followed the Deering instructions for installing the spike .286 inches up from the fret you want to capo. I used a .012 feeler gauge from a spark plug gap tool to stop the spike from going all the way in, just like @Jake recommends. Also, I installed my spikes to where the opening is at the top of the fret board not the bottom. That is the way my Deering came and I assumed is what most manufacturers do. I put the spike inline below the string and not above it.

1 Like

Thanks Guys i have looked at @jakes video and im sure that i can follow and install the spikes when i get the chance to

Thanks for all the comments they are well appreciated

Hi Guys

An update on fitting the railroad spikes, which I’ve just completed and as I only got 3 in the pack I’ve drilled the 10th ready. Other than being fiddley it’s pretty straight forward just get the right size drill bit which for me was a 0.75mm one

Here are the below and after pics

3 Likes

Those look great!

Thanks Ben I did notice that one was slightly to the right so gave it a little tap and it’s now straight :+1:

1 Like