Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

SPBGMA Convention

I think Martin has spread out their line a lot so that they have affordable models all the way up to the “serious professional” models like Libby mentioned. Also for a number of years their guitars, even the high end ones, were just not that great. When they started doing the reissues and then later the modern construction and bracing methods around 2015, that’s when they really got to the level of some of the smaller custom builders I think. I agree that most Martins I wouldn’t buy without playing. But all of the solid wood modern Martin dreadnoughts I’ve heard have been really good. I also have a feeling that since 50s and 60s Martins are starting to really go up in value, in 10 or 20 years it will be the 70s and 80s models.

5 Likes

Yes

1 Like

SPBGMA 2023

6 Likes

@Flatpickin_Libby You seem to be an expert on SPBGMA…

I’ve been thinking about attending this.

The hotel room rates are really high. Do people stay other places?
Does it start on Thursday night? I cannot find a schedule on the SPBGMA website? Do you recommend 3 days or 4 days?
Can a low level jammer participate?

3 Likes

Not sure if I’m an expert but it’s one of my favorite places to go. :slight_smile: I think the Sheraton hotel rooms are worth it to stay right there where all the jamming is, and not have to go outside into the cold (sometimes snow) to get to bed. But I’m pretty sure there are other nearby hotels. Guess you’d just have to look on Google Maps.

Yes it starts on Thursday night. They are really slow about posting their schedule; they’ll probably have it up in a few weeks. Here is last year’s:

So yeah, it’s 4 full days. I definitely wouldn’t leave before Sunday night. We actually like to get there Wednesday, a day before anything starts, and leave Monday.

As far as the jamming, there are jams of all levels everywhere!

2 Likes

just throwing this out: My home would probably be open for vacation rental if anyone wants for this, or any other event.

It’s currently on the market but we’re not under contract and this January date is close enough that it should be guaranteed. Let me know if anyone is interested.

5 Likes

Maybe you should explore the idea of keeping it. Sounds like opportunity is knocking.

1 Like

I was really hoping to go this time but unfortunately won’t be able to. Maybe someday haha.

1 Like

SPBGMA is this month! Here is the flyer for the room we’re hosting! Y’all come! :grin:

8 Likes

I would be in bed… :joy:

4 Likes

Bed?! That’s not a word until at least 3am.

5 Likes

I’m literally in bed at 10 and out of bed at 7, every day :joy:

2 Likes

Bed, Banjo and Beyond! Not you, not me either… :joy:

Me too at home but these festivals have a different schedule.

4 Likes

I know, I’m just kidding :joy:

3 Likes

2023 schedule!! :confetti_ball:

4 Likes

80% chance that I’ll be going for a day trip on the 28th!

7 Likes

Really!! That’s great! Come to our showcase that night and we’ll have to get you up there with The Brothers Five or us to pick a tune!

3 Likes

I’ll have to be headin home by then unfortunately… (See what I did there? :joy:) I’ll probably get there in the morning and have to leave around dinner time.

5 Likes

I only live 2.5 hours from Nashville

4 Likes