Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

SPBGMA Convention

I don’t, and this is precisely why.

No, I already did that, but rioting is overrated

My Mom actually doesn’t give a roasted rat’s rump about whether or not I wear shoes.
I told Mercy Grace of the band Sylamore Special that if Turner Atwell (same band) had his Driver’s license next time I saw them that I’d wear shoes. When I got there the first day he claimed to have it, so I put plekkies on the second day. He later admitted to lying about it, so I removed said plekkies

4 Likes

Well, if I have my driver’s license by the next time I see you, will you wear hiking boots for a day?

3 Likes

Oooh, a challenge!

3 Likes

Hi @Michael_Mark you should make him wear wellington boots, with shorts and no socks all weekend. I well remember the pain of doing that when I was a boy.

5 Likes

We use those type of rubber boots for working with our animals and yah, you definitely need tall socks! The tops of the boots just rub your skin raw if you don’t!

3 Likes

That’s why I suggested it :wink:… Boy does it hurt when you come to wash your legs.

2 Likes

@Dragonslayer And if I don’t have the license by the next time I see you, I’ll post a video of me playing a Bela Fleck solo.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

@Dragonslayer has yet to reply!

2 Likes
1 Like

He’s analytically gaming out his best choice, trying to remember how old I am and whether or not he can find a decent pair of boots at Goodwill.

3 Likes

I accept, with the condition that you buy the boots, or you ride with me to go buy them (with me driving, which isn’t actually scary, but whatever)

4 Likes

Ummm… that’s hardly a punishment. I used to do that all the time, and literally every child in south africa does that almost daily, usually up until they turn 40 or so

3 Likes

You realize that it’s only a matter of a few months until I can legally get my driver’s license?

And if I have to buy the boots, I reserve the right to select the ugliest and/or most embarrasing design at my disposal…

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, do the folks at big jams like this cast some shade on the non-Martin guitar crowd?

3 Likes

The obvious solution would have been to have worn one shoe.

2 Likes

Nobody cares what kind of instrument you have. But it’s in your best interest to have a loud one most of the time :smiley:

7 Likes

That’s reasonable, I’ll agree to those terms.
(But obviously no inappropriate words or images allowed)

People might verbally joke about it if you have a Taylor, but most of them were playing other brands anyway, Blueridge, Hayes, Collings, Furch, etc.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting question; it actually seems like most pros these days are playing new guitars like Collings, etc. rather than new Martins. I don’t think it’s because all Martins are just worse, I think it’s because Martins are generally less consistent from guitar to guitar than some other brands. I’ve heard/played some newer Martins that sound amazing, and also some that I preferred my $900 Eastman to (Of course my Eastman is stupid awesome which helps).

Tony Rice said in his biography that “people are playing guitars other than Martins now because Martin ain’t made a decent guitar since 1955!” I would guess that’s a good amount of exaggeration, but it is true that most would have way more confidence buying a guitar like a Collings without playing it first than buying a new Martin without playing it first. Also, some people who own incredible Martins from the prewar era might choose to jam with a newer guitar from another manufacturer so as to prevent damage to their more valuable instrument.

6 Likes

Martin HAS come out with an unbelievable new powerhouse of a guitar in their new Custom Shop D-18 Sinkers, which George Gruhn helped design. These guitars are incredibly consistent and explosively good sounding. Sinker mahogany back and sides and Adirondack top. It’s a shame they aren’t more popular or that Tony Rice isn’t around to see them! Because of the cheaper junky guitars Martin also makes, it’s easy to miss this pretty amazing modern creation they’re selling. In my opinion, just as good as all the vintage models.

8 Likes

Isn’t that Lincoln Hensley at 40:46 on the Banjo??

1 Like