Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

SPBGMA Convention

I did too but I got better the day we got here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very cool for y’all to run into Tommy Emmanuel. I hope he didn’t demonstrate is percussion skills on your Martin! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Excited for tomorrow, I’ll be there from about 9 to 4, except for leaving for lunch.

9 Likes

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07dfeG13AdHZ3ul01NYDDVj7Q

3 Likes

14 Likes

I was finally able to play some good guitars the other day… Those things sounded like cannons compared to mine, it was crazy :joy:

10 Likes

We told you!!

6 Likes

I’ve believed you for at least the last 7 months or so :man_shrugging::joy:

6 Likes

I should have let you play mine!

5 Likes

I didn’t even think of that… :joy: You said you couldn’t stick around long though.

4 Likes

Kenny Smith was going onstage :slightly_smiling_face:
It was fun to pick a few though! You really do like stuff fast even in real life…

4 Likes

Clinch Mountain Backstep might’ve been a little fast… :joy: I tried to kick off the others at a moderate pace though. Maybe it was still too fast :man_shrugging::grimacing: We didn’t even know the Kenny Smith thing was happening, Lucy asked if we were going to it and we were all clueless and just kinda stared at her… Sorry about that @Lucy_L :rofl:

4 Likes

It was in the ticketed section so that’s probably why. What’s fun about SPBGMA (as you experienced) is you can enjoy a day jam-packed with music, jamming, instruments, and friends just out in the lobby and hallways. Sometimes that’s where the best music happens anyway! I didn’t get to do AS much hallway picking this time with all the band showcasing and competing we had going on. But SPBGMA is a blast regardless of which way you experience it! We were excited to win 6th place! :smile:

7 Likes

It was so much fun, one of the best days I’ve ever had. It was awesome getting to meet y’all! It’s so weird seeing people you’ve talked to online in person. I spent most of the day with the Strangs N Such folks and Aubrey, I talk to them on discord a lot so that was super cool. The jamming was so fun, especially when I was forced to improvise. I really wish I could jam more often, I think it would really help me improve faster. I got absolutely destroyed by a 12 year old banjo player, that was embarrassing :joy: That kid was improvising with melodic triplet Pikelny style licks and I was just playing standard stuff :rofl: It was great motivation though.

7 Likes

And when you spend even MORE time on the banjo, this won’t bother you at all.

10 Likes

Working on getting some SPBGMA videos on my channel. Of course I didn’t film nearly all the fun. Lots of people said this year’s SPBGMA was like a comeback; back in the old days they would have massive crowds apparently, and it was just huge this year - much bigger than last year! The awards show crowd was enormous. Rhonda Vincent singing with Dailey & Vincent… unbelievably flawless. Some of the best live music I’ve ever seen! The band contest was so much fun - some of the most fun people to be around, all cheering for each other, making each other laugh, rooting for each other, jamming together - it’s just the best. It was great to stay right there at the hotel, since the nights got late!! We’re back home now. Such an incredibly inspiring and exciting week! :notes: I highly recommend that anyone who’s never gone, GO next year!

8 Likes

(Ignore my guitar solo in When I’m Knee Deep in Bluegrass - round 1. I am not sure what happened… :smile:)
13 Likes

Haha, that’s ok! The lobby itself is so much fun, so many jams and people just hanging out there! Nice to meet all you guys!

5 Likes

I’m gonna attempt to stay a little longer next year, we shall see though :joy:

9 Likes

Someone found this on Facebook and sent it to me… It’s a picture of Libby with me in the background! :joy:

12 Likes