Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Spare quarters

Since that’s what I called this thread, I’ll ask, have any of you used a quarter as a pick? On to my real question, I saw the pics of BC picks in the BBCGS, do BC picks really have a quarter design on the back? And is that all of them, or just an option?

1 Like

Used a penny on guitar many times, when I didn’t have a pick at hand.

1 Like

No, that is just a quarter sitting there for a size reference. That would be kind of cool to have a spare quarter with your pick though!

1 Like

Did you find the tone/performance of it to be good or bad?

Ok, that makes sense

That’s just 25 cents off of your purchase price. :grinning:

2 Likes

I have friends that swear by quarters that have been modified by grinding. However, I am not really a fan.

1 Like

It definitely gave it a totally different tone, and quite honestly not so desirable. I would say it is a bit more difficult to play, because it makes for a smaller pick (less grip), plus it is very thick and rigid. Not something I would seek. Just used it when I didn’t have a regular pick close by.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried with some coin (African currency don’t remember which) and noticed pretty much the same thing, and I’ve started liking bigger/stiffer picks so can’t wait till I visit a real country again to try some large triangle picks

Jimmy Vaughn says that hotel room key cards make his favorite picks. So maybe consider stashing one in your wallet the next time you check out. Then when you’re desperate for a pick, instead of trashing your strings on serrated coinage, you can simply pop out your key card, cut yourself off a chunk like it’s a wad of Copenhagen, and you’re stylin’ like Jimmy!
[Void where prohibited by law.]

1 Like