Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sore left thumb. I have been working on banjo for almost a year now.. "Old Fart" 79

I know I am gripping the neck to tight to the point that I am getting a crazy bone nerve in the palm of my thumb. I loosen when I realize it but it is hard bad habit to break. I dont feel like I have control over the neck or I dont think I can get a solid fret unless I grip tight. Anybody got any tips on how I can break that habit. It’s like gripping a golf club to tight. It is holding me back because I am not relaxed.

2 Likes

Hi @jimjudymac Jim welcome to BanjoBen 's Forum

I think you have answered your own query. If you are gripping the neck tightly I would expect your thumb to be sore. If in addition, your fretting the 5th string with your thumb then that will also give rise to a painful outcome until you grow a callus. Trust me, if you grip too tightly you’ll not play clean or play at speed. Light touch works best.

1 Like

A few suggestions:

• Ensure that you have the banjo situated to where it won’t move around without your left hand gripping it. My normal practice is seated with a strap. The strap is adjusted so it has a little of the load as well as my lap (and happens to keep the banjo in near the same spot whether seated or standing). Not having to hold the neck in place with your left hand is a big help.
  • Remind yourself often how light you need to fret. To do this I do an exercise where I place a fretting finger properly (close to the fret but not on it) and start with it just laying on the string. Slowly increase your fretting pressure while plucking until a clear note is made. It is amazing how little pressure it takes.
  • @DrGuitar1 has in the past suggested practicing overly light playing to where you don’t even press hard enough to fret the note. That will allow you to practice without stressing your thumb and it builds muscle memory for a relaxed grip.

Getting rid of tension is one of the toughest things to do. It takes a long time and for many, it is a battle that keeps popping up. Keep at it!

4 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

thanks I will give it try

2 Likes

Great suggestions here, but often “easier said than done.” Don’t let that discourage you. I’m 3 years into banging on the banjo & I too would grip the neck too tight.
I learned to loosen up by quit trying so hard to learn something. The tension that naturally comes with that struggle went right to my hand So I started just noodling around, toying with MIke_R suggestion to see how light I could touch it.
Have you seen the commercial where a little kid wishes Shaq was his big brother? The two are sitting in the back seat of the car & the kid is pointing at Shaq, saying “I’m not touching you! I’m not touching you!”
Try playing the same game with your banjo! :grin:

1 Like

Late to the conversation, sorry.

If you practice “touch technique” you will find that you will get to:

• Practice muscle memory of a tune or scales
  • Allow yourself to practice without wearing out the pads of your fingers
  • Learn to play “faster” by allowing you to release faster from a previous note
  • Train yourself to play with a lighter touch which reduces cramping and muscle strain
  • Helps you learn to attack and note with both hands simultaneously (you will hear if your hand timing is poor)

The technique is practiced by correctly placing your fingers in the proper position on the fretboard but NOT pressing the string to the fret. In fact, you should just place your fingers on the strings without pressing down at all. This will sound with a muted “thunk”.

Once you have practiced like this, then practice playing your tune or techniques with the lightest touch possible yet still get a clean, clear tone. Working back and forth between these two concepts should help you determine how to get the lightest touch possible and still get a good tone. It also should help you learn to relax your muscles more efficiently.

3 Likes