Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Song requests!

Heyo! I’d love to see mandolin lessons for a couple beautiful waltzes: Midnight on the Water and Tennessee Waltz.

I tried searching for them here but couldn’t find them. I’m also not sure if this is the proper forum for making a request. In either case, I’m new here, so don’t holler at me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Jordan_Schupbach
Hi and Welcome!
If the song is under a copyright you’re not likely to find a lesson on it.

Ben’s got a few lessons that might help:
Browse Instruction Videos ★ Banjo Ben Clark ★

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @Jordan_Schupbach. I don’t think anyone will holler at you.

Like @Jordan_Schupbach said, copyright’s keep some songs from begin taught. I did see that Tennesee Waltz is still under copyright protection. You can search the instruction videos with keyword waltz. Hopefully working on a lesson teaching a waltz will get you one step closer to being able to work out the songs you are interested in learning.

1 Like

Hey @Jordan_Schupbach!

As Stuart said, I think Tennessee Waltz is still under copyright (don’t know personally about Midnight.) However, here are a few steps/tips that might help out with tackling a tune like this:

• Start first with the basic-as-possible melody. Especially with a song like this, it sounds best when you let the melody shine. So, pick your key and use your ear to figure out the melody on the fretboard, as simply as possible. If it takes time, that’s perfectly normal!
  • Once you’ve done that, take those same exact notes and play them the same way with the left hand, but add tremelo (where you can feel it fits) with your right hand. You may wish to also add slides, etc. with the left hand.
  • Finally, think about the chord that the melody note is over and figure out some simple harmony to some melody notes (this might sound especially good on the same notes you tremelo).

I believe Ben discusses these concepts in-depth this lesson:
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/amazing-grace-tremolo-harmony-mandolin-beginner

Working on this should get you well on your way with a solid mando break that sings the melody! Let us know how it goes/if you ever need help!

5 Likes