Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Song help

Im searching for the chord structure for Keep Your Eyes On Jesus the way Doyle Lawson (Who got it from Johnny Cash, I think) sings it.
I’m learning the Banjo and I want to shoot for this song. I’d love it in Banjo tab but I think I can work with the chord structure. Of course a video lesson would be awesome😁

2 Likes

Hey @denise2062, it looks like that song is still under copyright, so Ben can’t legally teach it in a lesson video, but I’m sure folks here would be more than happy to help you out.

The song is in the key of A Maj (capoing at 2 and playing out of the G Maj position on banjo) and the banjo kickoff chord progression is as follows:

I I IV IV
I V I I

The chord progression for the chorus and verse:

I I IV IV
I I V V
I I IV IV
I V I I

It’s a fairly simple chord progression using only the 1, 4 & 5 chords. I don’t know how to write TAB digitally but I’ll tag @Mark_Rocka and he’ll probably be able to help you out more than I could.
-Michael

5 Likes

Nice job, Michael. I’m not sure I’ll have enough time to learn, pick apart, and tab out a song any time soon. It’s 8:45pm and I just got home from work, which is how a lot of days have been going for about a year now. I’m lucky to even get time to pick.

Hopefully someone else can help out.

4 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes