Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Some Questions about the Loar

I just got my new (borrowed) mandolin, and what do you know it’s the Loar! It was brand new, so had to bring the bridge all the way down, but the strings are still a little high. Is the bridge supposed to be in line with the notches in the F holes like a fiddle? it’s a little past the F holes. Also, I went to unscrew the strap button, and found out it’s just a press fit like a fiddle tuner. I put the strap on, and went to put it back on, but it won’t stay. I will try wax tomorrow. @Jake @BanjoBen @AdamAsh do your Loars have this problem? what do you do to fix it?

1 Like

The bridge should be positioned based on intonation. So tune the strings perfectly open, then check the tune at the twelfth fret and adjust the bridge until it’s in tune.

2 Likes

Ok, will do that.

1 Like

It’s two ticks high on a snark. does it need to be adjusted? I might bring it to Dick’s Country Store to have it professionally set up. I would have them set up my Goodtime, but my new RK-20 should be shipping soon!

1 Like

That depends on your ear. Do you play up the neck? Do you hear notes being very out of tune in the places you do play?
Getting a pro set up would be ideal

1 Like

I adjusted it, and broke an E string while tuning it. :roll_eyes: The problem is, I need to play it tomorrow at an event, and the local music store doesn’t open until Tuesday. I would go up to Dicks, but my dad says there’s no time today…

1 Like

Well, get it as close as you can and then hope it’s good enough to not sound awful at the event

1 Like

It is perfect now, except for the broken string…

1 Like

Guitar E strings should be the same gauge or banjo high D as long as you use lights I think they’re all .10

1 Like

I was looking into that, but someone had an extra set of mando strings so I’m all good now…

1 Like

Try wrapping a bit of tape around the end pin and placing it back in.

3 Likes

Yup, I finally figured that out yesterday before the performance. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I just checked a couple of the Loars in the store, and the end pins are pretty solid in them. Like Ben said, putting some tape around the end pin and sticking it back in is probably the best thing. Sorry, I didn’t see your question until today!

3 Likes