Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

So, what did you practice on today?

Anyone care to tell us which of Ben’s lessons you’ve been working on lately?

Tonight, on guitar I practiced -

Away in a Manger (Love the drop D)
How Great Thou Art
Wayfaring Stranger
Go Tell it on the Mountain

Anyone?

7 Likes

I was thinking I might try my hand at Deck the Hall’s and God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen. Christmas is just round the corner so time to start gearing up for the festive season

6 Likes

Hello Jack,

Practiced Wayfaring Stranger (I blame @Rich) for that :wink:
The Rhythm of Cattle in the Cane
The Rhythm of Whisky before Breakfast
Pushing Licks but still have not done 16 bars without error yet! :angry:

As Xmas is approaching “We wish you a Merry Xmas” but have toyed with that arrangement a bit

6 Likes

I’m finally memorizing “John Henry” in G. It’s been tricky because it doesn’t sound exactly like the song in my head.
Since I’m having pick issues, I’m also focusing more on techniques in order to play the string instead of the drum head.
The F chord. I can form it, but not quickly or smoothly enough.
Ben’s Breakdown is coming along nicely.

(Aren’t these Beginner’s cute as they struggle to crawl?)

7 Likes

Hi @Banjoe. If your talking about banjo chord shapes. Here is a little trick I learned early on. Make an F shape G chord at the fifth fret. Keeping your pinkie and ring fingers firmly down on the 4th & 1st strings. Switch the positions of the index and middle fingers.to form a D shape chord. Practice this finger switching back and forth till it begins to feel natural. Then start moving the chord shapes back and forth, down one fret for a D chord then back up one fret for a G chord. Soon you’ll be able to move quickly and fluidly between the two. Have fun.

7 Likes

Backup roll patterns with walking transitions and I Saw the Light.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I was afraid “until it begins to feel natural” meant “100 years from now,” but since you included the word “soon” I am much more optimistic! :+1:

6 Likes

I’m at Banjo Ben’s Camp right now, so last night I practiced humiliating myself trying to play some of these songs I’ve been working on, LOL! :rofl: I think I’ve got that down pretty good. I’m a natural! I’m obviously still a closet player, where I can play songs pretty well. But add a group of people, and any semblance of fine motors skills that I’ve been working on quickly dissolve into the grossest of motor skills - pun intended! The good news is that everyone here is very encouraging and @BanjoBen is cheering us all on, so I will show up for today’s class and try to get better! I’m looking forward to today’s sessions (and the food!)

12 Likes

I’m trying to add some new licks to my arsenal so that I can be more confident improvising solos on guitar; yesterday I started breaking down Josh Williams’ guitar breaks to Freeborn Man:

I got most of the intro and the first solo under my fingers; there are some great licks in there that aren’t as tricky as I thought they would be.
6 Likes

I’ve been working on transcribing a lot of different breaks from Billy Strings live shows and videos for sons like Sharecroppers Son, Katy Daly, Little White Church, Give Me Back My 15 Cents, and a few others. I’ve also been working on @BanjoBen versions of Bill Cheatam, Black Mountain Rag, and Where the Soul of Man Never Dies. I also finally memorized his solo to The Old Homeplace.

6 Likes

Good King Wenceslas, Greensleeves, and 2nd beginner version of You are my Sunshine.

3 Likes

As I read pick in your comment I believe you can get them for $35 :wink:

1 Like

Lately i’ve been working on the banjo pushin licks lesson and the flatpicking and fingerpicking solos for come thou fount.

4 Likes

That’s the flat pick discount. The thumb pick runs $40.
Sometimes I think people stay up at night figuring out ways to stick it to banjo players. :wink:

2 Likes

I‘m working on Shenandoah Breakdown , and silent night. And maybe the next will be red river valley… :blush:

5 Likes

Hi Joe,

I guess you have seen some of my other comments on these picks but as always if they work for people enjoy . But I doubt I will be able to let it lie LOL :wink: $40 you say :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

The pick is only $1.95. The rest of the cost gets you JD Crowe’s initials inside.
According to my voodoo economics, that’s a bargain at twice the price! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It doesn’t take long to nail this. @BanJoe

2 Likes

Red River Valley is a great lesson. One of @BanjoBen 's best I’d say

3 Likes

Old Joe Clark , John Henry and Scale’s OH BOY WHAT FUN !!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes