Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

So...I decicded to take some Mandolin lessons

Like the title said I decided to take some mandolin lessons. These were done on two different occasions via skype. The lessons were both from very talented players. You all know who they are but I don’t feel the need to mention any names. My problem is after the initial lessons once it was determined that I knew a lot of basics that they didn’t need to cover then I was sent song tabs to learn, Ok, fine, in the week following I could generally learn it and memorize it fairly well can could get through them at reasonable pace. I wasn’t lighting anyhting on fire and Nashville wasn’t going to be calling anytime soon but I was doing ok. Every week I was just given a tab…ok, come back and play it, so on and so forth. I stopped taking the lessons because I didn’t feel I was getting my money’s worth. No real coaching, or instruction or discussion about theory at all. They just threw a new tab at me and see you next week. Well, I can do that on my own. I just felt a little disappointed in the whole thing. But, I don’t know…maybe it’s just me. Perhaps I am in the wrong? What are your experiences with actual lessons.?

Did you clearly communicate your expectations/desires with the instructors? I think most instructors would have gladly gotten into some theory, or otherwise modified the lesson format to fit what you were looking for.

In the lessons that I’ve had, albeit on banjo, there were times where I was open to learning anything, and we did whatever the instructor felt like we should cover. And there have been times where I was looking for something specific, so that’s what we did. One big difference between my lessons and yours - mine are not weekly. I wanted face-to-face lessons, and the instructor is too far away for me to do weekly lessons.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Hi @Stixx3969 Keith why pay out extra to go elsewhere for mandolin lessons when you have ALL the lessons you need right here on banjobenclark.com. I have said it many times @BanjoBen is THEE best teacher out there. His lessons are detailed, his video instructions are second to none, his tabs are accurate and he is right here if you need extra guidance.

2 Likes

I’m no mandolin player, but I would go with @Archie’s suggestion of Ben’s lessons. With it, I would also probably buy a couple of our members recommended books, to reinforce theory. A Mandolin Book to recommend?

I wanted personal human interaction

2 Likes

I agree that additional lessons, especially face to face, is super valuable. For some that’s not possible, but if so, I recommend it in addition to any online lessons one may be taking.

I think @rspillers has a point in clear communication. But it may be something beyond that. Just because someone is a great player, doesn’t make them a great teacher, and it doesn’t mean that they LOVE teaching. Even if they do, many of these teachers so load their schedules that they’re burnt out and if the student isn’t assertive, they default to what’s easiest. I say that honestly because I’ve been there.

A good, skilled, caring teacher is worth their wages, for sure. I hope you find someone @Stixx3969 that will inspire you and push you forward.

5 Likes

Sure I understand fully your reasoning and I would be the first to encourage everyone to explore different teachers and teaching methods. But I also endorse ALL that @BanjoBen says. Personal interaction can be great if you can find a great teacher. I tried it a couple of times with different teachers and it turned out a costly exercise for me and I don’t mean monetary. I mean bad teaching. Not all great players make great teachers. Likewise not all great teachers are great players.

Any recommendations?

Just received an email from Matt Flinner about upcoming courses. Here’s a link:

https://www.mattflinner.com/2024/07/save-50-on-late-summer-courses-through-7-14-bluegrass-jamming-ii-mandolin-tune-studies-chord-rhythm-intensive-start-8-19-21/

My daughter and I took lessons from Sharon Gilchrist during the lockdown. She’s a great teacher. She teaches on Peghead and does private lessons.

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone that I’d wholeheartedly recommend right now, but looks like @mharrison43 is in the know.

I struggle with learning from tablature. I found Nick Dumas on this site under mandolin " Pro picker series"
I contacted him and am in the process of setting up some private lessons in August. He teaches by ear and I think he will be a good fit for me. He currently is on tour but we are working around that.

Nick Dumas
Sturgeon Bay, WI
(425) 248-8648 |
justafiddling@msn.com](mailto:justafiddling@msn.com

Check out his videos with Ben and see what you think.

3 Likes