Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Snark ST-8 Tuner problem

Good morning. I am having trouble with my Snark ST-8 tuner (I have two and they both do it) reading the first string on my banjo as A when it is D. I tried both of them and they both register as A quick flash to D but stay on A. I checked the string with a tuner on my cell phone, the TE Tuner app and it shows a D. It sounds to my ear to be in tune as a D but both are showing it as an A. Both tuners are using the bracket for 5 string banjo and both bought through the BB store. Any insights??

Thanks in advance

OK, as a Beginner, here’s my expert advice.
Maybe it’s time to replace the battery. I also use a Snark with the bracket mount, and at one point I just couldn’t seem to get a solid reading on the B, or 2nd string. Everything else seemed right, but I hallucinated that the display wasn’t a bright as it used to be. On a whim I changed the battery.
Ta-da! Life was good again!

1 Like

BanJoe, I can try that, but the tuner is brand new, right out of the package and pulled the pull tab for the battery. The other has been used for about a year, but still read the same…

1 Like

That happens sometimes. Banjos are very ringy (that’s a big reason I like them). We think of a note being a single frequency, but it’s really a bunch of frequencies at once. You have the fundamental tone, and then all the various harmonics for that note above it (and yes, A is a strong harmonic of D). First thing to try is to mute the other strings before plucking (and while plucking if possible). That alone might allow it to read the fundamental tone better without the other strings adding to it. If that doesn’t help… since both tuners are reading it, it might be that you are on a spot on the banjo that amplifies the A. Try turning or/holding the tuner (sometimes helps) and if that doesn’t help, I’d move the tuner bracket to a different spot (up/down, or maybe even try the next set of J-hooks.

Let us know if any of that works, good luck!

4 Likes

I have problems with my Snark Guitar & Bass Tuner ( I think I may have ordered the wrong tuner for my banjo) it seems a little over sensitive and it takes me several attempts to get the strings tuned. My BOSS TU-10 appears more stable

I wonder if @Jake has done a video on how to calibrate tuners.

Ok, Thanks Mike_R, I will give that a try. Thank you too Archie!

As a Beginner, my expert opinion is…this is not the first time I’ve been wrong! :grin:

A battery change was a good suggestion, but since you already covered it, I didn’t do it again :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Take off your capo…:wink:

2 Likes

@Mike_R nailed it, I think.

4 Likes

I feel like I might have a little pride issue in “liking” a post that said I nailed it.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

“It ain’t braggin’ if it’s true!”

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the Silver Snark Tuner can be disconnected at the ball joint and attached to a bracket mount for banjo? I’ve tried it, but I’m afraid to apply any more pressure as I don’t want to break it? I emailed Snark directly, and their response was “we can’t answer that, as we have not tested that.”

Disregard, I answered my own question. I went ahead and put a little more muscle into it and it disconnected, just like the standard Snark Tuner. It’s super tight, but it snapped off and on to the bracket mount for banjo.

2 Likes

1 Like