Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Small Capo

Hi @Jake @AdamAsh I seeking some advice on smaller sizes Capo’s I have a Shubb quick release capo that works just fine in my Fender FB 58 but sits loose on my Stelling Masterflower which has a much narrower neck. Even with the adjusting screw tightened up the capo doesn’t sit well on the first string. What’s the best capo for a narrow neck ?

2 Likes

I did some comparisons here in the store, just now, and it looks like the Elliott or Paige capos might work a bit better for you. With them, it’s not so much that they tighten down more, but that the saddle is angled a bit differently so that when it is tightened down more, the pressure is still applied evenly. With the design of the Shubb quick release-style capo, the saddle sits on the bar that is hinged on one end. So, when you tighten the adjustment screw, it causes the bar to angle more instead of staying parallel to the front bar of the capo. If the saddle is positioned correctly on the back of the neck, that could cause the bottom end of the front bar (on the 1st string) to not sit well as you described. Any of the capos with a screw adjustment (Paige, Shubb Fine Tune, Elliott) should sit better in a more even position in a case like this. However, it appears the the Paige and Elliotts tighten down maybe a bit farther than the Shubb Fine Tune.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Thanks Adam, I appreciate your feedback.

2 Likes

With a paige or Elliott if it doesn’t tighten far enough you can fold some paper and put it in the back as a spacer

Thanks for the tip although it’s not very professional having a wad of paper hanging out for all to see.

1 Like

Well, it would be on the back of the neck, and if folded properly it would be completely invisible unless you specifically looked for it. Also, being “professional” is overrated, professionals use improvised fixes all the time because time and money are short

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Love it !!!

1 Like

Hi @AdamAsh & @Jake

So after considering all your feedback and my budget I went ahead and bought the G7th Newport Banjo or Ukulele Capo from Eagle Music here in the UK.

It’s currently out of stock in @BanjoBen 's General Store. But if any of you guys have a banjo with a narrow neck this is one you might like to consider. It fits snugly on the neck and the cushion sits square across the strings. Does pull a little sharp but that was also the case with my Shubb Capo.

I much prefer the quick release capo and I am very happy with my purchase

2 Likes

Glad you found one that works for you!

3 Likes