Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sliding and open strings

What’s the consensus on hitting the corresponding open string (note) when sliding up to a note? Is it a matter of personal preference or is it standard practice in certain situations?

Thanks!

IMHO, it’s both. Whatever sounds best to you combined with whatever you can play cleanly.
When these two don’t match, a little more practice would be a good thing.

1 Like

I don’t recall EVER sliding ON an open string. Be interested to hear @BanjoBen 's response to this. A hammer-on is more likely how to play this. Sliding OFF to an open string is possible. Example fret at 5 pick the string and as you slide down the neck take off the pressure as you slide.

PS Maybe I am reading this wrong.

I took it as this type of technique. image

In this case, it’s to make sound big and punchy.

2 Likes

It’s your preference, but usually when it happens it is to accentuate the open string note that is typically part of the melody. So the slide takes your ear up to the melody note, then the open string reinforces it.

4 Likes

Hi @Zachary Ok Right Measure 41 is a forward reverse roll. This is standard Scruggs stuff and @BanjoBen explains all this in great detail in his beginner lessons.

You pick the middle string with your thumb, the second string with your index and the 1st string with your middle finger. the slides are just ornamentation. My advice is to practice playing the forward reverse roll until you can do it on autopilot ie without having to think about it. Once you master the roll then work on the slides which are pretty easy. Making it sound big and punchy is down to experience and practice. This lick is not hard and you should be able to master it in a day or so once you can nail that forward reverse roll.

1 Like

Maybe you are. It was my understanding he’s talking about, say, sliding on the 3rd string from second fret to fourth, playing A to B. Well, the second string is also an open B, so why not pick it as you slide onto the 4th fret? You get a charming double note.
Sometimes it is desirable and sometimes it’s not.

3 Likes

Thanks @BanJoe All was made clear when @Zachary posted the TAB sample. I work better with visuals. I think I have addressed the issue now and I am sure Zachary will nail this lick in no time. It’s Basic Stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks @Archie, but I’m not that good. I’m still working on rolls. Right now I’m trying to focus on my mandolin, guitar and bass; When I get a little better with those I’ll bring in the banjo again. That was just the first TAB with that I could find.

1 Like

Hi @Zachary That’s OK. The 5 String Banjo was a mystery to me when I first started out. My first teacher gave me six roll patterns to work on. He told me just to focus on one roll pattern each day. A new pattern each day for a week, rest on Sunday. Week two repeat week one. Week three mix up all the roll patterns. Now I no longer think about the rolls I just play them. Don’t let the banjo intimidate you @BanjoBen is the best banjo teacher there is. I have studied with a bucket full of teachers, far too numerous to list here. For me Ben ranks No1.

Work through Ben’s beginner banjo learning track and you’ll soon be nailing all these licks. And playing a bunch of tunes that you never thought you could master.

1 Like

Thanks for the input all! I notice sometimes I pick the open string and sometimes I don’t but was never quite sure what the standard was.