Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Single string picking for Big Sandy River

I’m currently working on big sandy river and trying to work out the single string break. I watched a couple of people playing it (slowed down on you tube) but I’m not sure I’m getting it right. When I get to the bass string I seem to have to thumb it twice to be on the right finger/thumb for the next string on the way back up. (not sure if that makes it very clear how I’m describing it?) Does anyone know if there is a tab of this break anywhere? I maybe doing it right but without a clear visual or tab I maybe doing it wrong and making it harder for myself.
I’m finding it quite tricky but I think I just need a lot of practise in the technique, but a tab for this break would be very helpful. :+1:

I don’t know of one, but I will say that as a single-string picker, you need to be able to go up or down the strings with either finger leading. That’s one of the toughest things initially to get the hang of, but practice going back and forth from the 2nd and 3rd string using your thumb on the 2nd and your index on the 3rd.

Thanks Ben. Will try practising that. It is tricky. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like