Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Shure Mics

hey Ya’ll. Just wondering if anyone knows whats better between the Shure SM58-LC and the Shure SM57-LC. I am looking for a mic that will work the best for studio but not to expensive. I was looking at these two but wasn’t sure on the difference. Anyone know?

3 Likes

Depends on what you’re recording. I think one is more for vocals (the 58 I believe) and the 57 leans more toward instruments… if I remember correctly (but I probably don’t).

5 Likes

The 57 would be a better all around mic if you’re doing instruments and vocals.

4 Likes

Here’s what Shure says about them -

“The main difference is in the grille. The SM58 was designed for vocal applications, and therefore uses a ball grille with built in pop filter to eliminate plosives. The SM57 is designed as an instrument microphone, where a smaller grille size is more practical and plosives are less of a concern.”

So, as usual, Ben is right, unless you plan on singing that song about “Peter Piper picking pickled peppers.”

6 Likes

ok thanks all. Sounds good. Seems like the 57 is the one i want. Maybe i’ll check out the 58 for some of the vocals as well.

1 Like

@Shaky_loves_banjo, you may want to check out DRI100 as well if you could get it in the 3 for $50 deal. I got it in the deal a couple of years ago. Here’s a comparison with 57.

2 Likes

If one wanted to record an instrument only, would a condenser microphone be superior? Or would the SM 57 do just as good?

2 Likes

Here is I think a great article that gives insight into all the basic things you require to understand in choosing a mic like dynamic vs condenser, omnidirectional vs cardioid, no power vs phantom power, diaphragm small vs big, vocal vs instrument, studio vs live settings, price low vs high, plus 58 vs 57 comparison.

I bought Blue Yeti USB condenser mic per @Mark_Rocka suggestion under $100 in a deal. It’s great for acoustic recordings in at home settings.

3 Likes

You nailed it John. Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

2 Likes

Well i’m always up for a deal so i might have to check that out. Thanks

1 Like

You’re welcome, Neil! :slight_smile:

1 Like