Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Seeking advice on Repair

Mando-Forum Members,

Help! I seek wise counsel!

My precious BanjoBen store-bought Eastman 315 tailpiece suffered a string hook anchor break.

My question is…

Should I try to replace with an “Eastman Original” tailpiece replacement? Or… is it unimportant and should I take the opportunity to UPGRADE?

If upgrading… what tailpiece is recommended?

@Jake, I greatly value your opinion!

Unfortunately, I am out of work at the moment so I cannot do anything at this exact moment to replace it.

Sad as my old Banjer broke/scrapped and now, I am on a forced hiatus.

Thanks in advance for your input.

1 Like

If you reach out to Eastman they will send you another tailpiece. You or someone would need to put the nee tail piece on. I had a hook break as well. Eastman mailed me a new one pretty quickly but I got a local music shop to put it on for me.

4 Likes

That is wonderful advice from experience! Thank you @Stuart.Gamble.

I live relatively close to Elderly Music in Lansing, MI… that has a good reputation .

They have done work for me before.

1 Like

Well, I just sent Eastman a message directly through their website with the model number… so let’s see what happens…

… and the adventure continues…

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me, too. Eastman sent me a free replacement.

1 Like

@Stuart.Gamble / All,

True to feedback, Eastman DID send me another string anchor plate for my Mando - no charge.

I still didn’t land a job yet but am wondering whether I should attempt the repair.

I am inclined to thank it is better NOT to try it because I am hesitant to remove all the strings - which I know is required for the repair.

Those of you who have done this, can you share your repair experience? Did you pay to have it repaired or did you do the repair yourself?

In advance, thanks for sharing… and for saving me the money to order this part that Eastman sent at no cost.

Missing to play…

@WillCoop, I’d say if you are a handy-fixer-upper type, it’s typically pretty straightforward. If you are not comfortable with it, it’s never a bad idea to let a pro do it. It’s really up to you.

If you do decide to do it, removing all the strings is a slightly bigger deal than one string at a time in that you have to get the bridge positioned correctly when you put it back together. You can use some weak masking tape on the top to mark where the bridge was positioned before you take it off.

3 Likes