Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Scuba Certification

My brother did a lot of diving in the Navy, and then had to get recertified as a civilian after he got out… go figure. I know absolutely nothing about diving. I hope you do well, good luck!:+1:

I must admit something. I like to do a lot of things: bungee jump, fly planes, ride bulls, etc. But I go on the record to say I do not like trying to breathe underwater very much. I am supposed to finish up my cert this weekend, but I don’t know if I’ll go again or not. Hahaha.

3 Likes

Good luck! I hope you enjoy it.

Hmnnn, this sounds like trying to master those big mandolin chords – keep working at it and it gets easier. I sympathize with you on scuba breathing. After practicing it for 10 hours, it got easier for me though it was an unpleasant sensation at the beginning. Another analogy to your scuba training situation – remember the first time doing stall/spins in your airplane? Another unpleasant sensation, but even there when practiced for 20-30 times a controlled spin is just another pleasant thing to do with an airplane. Go get that certification, young man!

1 Like

Dang Ben…be careful out there buddy! We need you in good shape to create a lot more videos.:wink:

1 Like

Fully Certified - Well done Sir,

I did it! And I don’t care if I ever dive in a deep, dark, cold Kentucky quarry ever again!

IMG_1620

8 Likes

Rock on @BanjoBen! Even if you never do it again, it’s a great party line.

2 Likes

Well, you’ve now gone further than most people ever will. That is a success in itself

1 Like

@BanjoBen Congrats…Now that you are certified you can literally “Dive into” those lessons now

2 Likes

And with the Mediterranean and Caribbean Seas and other tropical waters, who needs quarries anyhow? Congratulations on your certification!

2 Likes

Congratulations! Do you think you will continue to dive? I have often thought about learning to dive to look for artifacts on the bottom of the river. Have you ever had any intest in Native American Artifacts? I bet you could find some cool stuff doing that.

I would love to do stuff like that, yeah. I just wasn’t a fan of this quarry diving. I’m claustrophobic and have a fear of being strangled, so this was a big mental challenge for me. It took a lot for me not to panic at times, being 50’ deep in a freezing quarry, low vis and dark, water filling up my mask that didn’t fit right, etc. It didn’t help that the quarry had a Halloween theme going on, so there were zombies stashed here and there that you would uncover as you swam. Ha! I look forward to warmer, clearer waters and staying above 40’ deep!

You won’t get any clearer than Flathead Lake up in Montana. I’ll let you dive and tell me where all the whitefish like to hide.

I will, as soon as you find me a .300 mag that never fails to fire underwater.

2 Likes

Ya ready for the Dead Sea now?

The RED Sea, yes…I’d need to haul a couple banjos with me to the Dead Sea if I expect to sink. haha

1 Like

Oh yes of course. I bet even your banjo would float on the Dead. The Red then. And don’t forget the Med; is that doable?

1 Like

Probably not on this trip I have planned, but I would sure love to!

How does your body (mainly the ears) deal with water pressure at that depth? Mine start hurting when I swim to the bottom of a 10’ pool.