Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Scottish Folk Group - The Corries

To help you through the covid lockdown I thought I’d post a few video’s of arguably Scotland’s most popular folk group from the 1960’s thru 1990. The Corries. to help keep you entertained.

I know these will please Gunnar because he likes to practice his Scottish accent and there are a lot of great Scottish words in the lyrics to these songs. These lads started out as a trio but somewhere along the way Bill Smith founder of the trio dropped out. Roy Williamson and Ronnie Browne continued on and become world famous with their song Flower of Scotland written by Roy who sadly passed away in 1990.

So if this has whetted you appetite there’s a ton more video’s on YouTube to trawl through.

P.S. Let me know what your favourites are.

4 Likes

@Archie,

Ok… so Macpherson’s Rant… I read the history about him, his Trial and hanging. Fascinating. I also was amazed about the story of his arriving pardon, the forward push of the town’s clocktower to hasten the execution, the west-facing Town Clock being covered at Macduff… and the smashed fiddle preserved in a museum!

And the tune itself? I know the words were written in 1700 on/about mid-November. Did the Corries write the melody as it is today… or famously record it? Or, is it just so famous as a… Hmmm… is a Folk song the correct term?

I ask because it seems so very well-known to have everyone singing.

Anyway, I barely understand half the words but the feeling of the tune itself - Brilliant.

Oh, and please overlook and forgive if the questions are obvious… or not very insightful… but this is a fascinating song/story.

Besides, you DID ask! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Will,

I regret I can’t answer all the questions. I have not read the history. I have a feeling that Robert Burns wrote the words, not sure about the music. I definitely don’t think the Corries wrote the music to this either.

Tunes like this one would have been taught in school back in the 40’s - 60’s. Especially if penned by Burns our national poet.

The Corries had a huge loyal following a high percentage being university students and professors. The Corries frequented all the pubs, clubs and would tour the university campuses in Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Dundee and Aberdeen. In fact I am sure they regularly toured the whole of Scotland. They released a ton of vinyl records and regularly featured on Radio & TV.

This kind of community singing was popular back in the 1950 & 60s, We regularly had family gatherings and had a sing song.

Is it a folk song? One could ask the same of You are my Sunshine. I think most folk songs are all about telling a story.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insights… and what I meant is that I wasn’t sure if this type of story song was known by another name in general within Scotland… but then I noticed the title of the thread - Scottish Folk Group… :+1:

While the story was tragic (as is true in many songs - bluegrass included, we know!), it was really amazing video as well as enjoying the song itself.

Thank you for posting and sharing it!

2 Likes