Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Scott Wilson from Boardman, Ohio!

What first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
My grandpa first introduced me to guitar and taught me my first chords, girls were responsible for me learning to sing and learn how to play better, and Ben introduced me to the world of bluegrass music.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’ve been playing guitar now for about 25 years and have loved playing music as long as I can remember. My current motivation comes from my first cabin camp experience. I went down confident that I knew how to play and would be able to participate in an intermediate jam and hold my own. Although it was an absolute blast, I got humbled in a way I never had before. From that moment I made a vow to myself that the next time I participated in a jam I would be much better prepared. That was about 4 years ago and wanting to be able to hang in a jam is still my number one motivating factor.

What’s your goal when playing?
When playing my goal is to just have fun and to not stop when I make a mistake. When I’m practicing, my goal is to be disciplined to take the time to work through the licks or phrases of any particular song that I know I don’t quite have down yet.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I don’t really have a favorite technique, but I think bends on a guitar are awesome especially in fiddle tunes. Hammer ons and pull offs are pretty helpful on guitar so I can play faster ha.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I picked up the banjo about 2 years ago and I was also a state solo and ensemble champion on the Euphonium in high school and love playing that.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I’m going to guess I’ve been a lifetime member officially for about 10 years now. I first found out about Ben about 15 years ago when I found a YouTube video of him in a nice Taylor Swift sweatshirt. It was the first time I had heard anyone play a fiddle tune and I was hooked. He was making videos and holding up hand written tabs to follow along and I’ve been following ever since. I’ve now been to 4 cabin camps and really appreciate the impact Ben has had on me and so many other people along the way.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
Well I feel kind of obligated to pick Intro to Improv since I had the absolute pleasure to unknowingly participate in it. But it actually is one of the most helpful lessons I’ve watched on the site or in person. For anyone new or confused about where to start with learning to improv it’s a must watch. I do also love the lessons that involve characters and acting. Like Dueling Bells, Auld Lang Syne, Saint Anne’s Reel, etc.

What artist(s) most inspire you? Who are your favorite musical heroes?
I hate to say it, but I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration from Billy Strings particularly when he plays Doc Watson. I really enjoy when him and Bryan Sutton play that traditional stuff together. It’s through them that I’ve really started exploring some of the greats.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I love the Doc and Dawg albums and would absolutely love to be on stage with Doc, Merle, and Jack Lawrence. Either that or as a 4th on the Three Pickers album.

If money were no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I’ve never really been much of a gear head or a historian of instruments. I don’t have much interest in collecting, I’d want to play any instrument I could buy. I guess I should say Martin or Santa Cruz? Maybe a signature Preston Thompson? If anyone wants to send me one to try out I’d be more than happy to reconsider :slight_smile:

What do you do for a living?
I am a firefighter and paramedic and do construction on the side.

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
I have 3 sons, two who play travel baseball almost year round so most weekends are spent at baseball fields. I also love to read, cook, and workout.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Well I suppose I’d be in much better shape and a much better picker.

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
Walking with Jesus with the knowledge we have now.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Just want to thank Ben for his kindness and generosity through the years. And all of you who take the time who read this and are a part of this community. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting some of you and everyone in this group is the real deal. Proud to be a part of it and I hope to see you all at a cabin camp soon!

Thanks for letting us feature you @scott_wilson!

21 Likes

Congrat @scott_wilson … Thanks for sharing you musical journey!

3 Likes

Awesome! Congrats, @scott_wilson!

2 Likes

gif @scott_wilson great write up

3 Likes

Congrats Scott!! You’re a great guitar player.

3 Likes

Scott you a great person and a great picker! I hope we can meet at another camp again soon.

2 Likes

Hi @Scott_Wilson Great to read your story. Interesting to know more about you. Great pic of you and Ben. All the best on your musical journey. Tim

2 Likes