Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Scott Moore from Lexington, KY!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I became interested in Bluegrass Music while working on the Outdoor TV Program “Kentucky Afield”. The show used traditional thumbpicking music as well as showcasing many of Kentucky’s Bluegrass Pickers. I believe it was The Moron Brothers who inspired me the most.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Started playing a little Banjo about 11 years ago but lost my teacher. Then about 4 years ago I decided to try mandolin and that’s when I started using Banjo Ben

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
As a beginner, I believe it was the fundamental lessons that taught me how to correctly hold the instrument, strike the pick and of course the tabs and camera angles were nothing I’d ever seen before. I really felt like I was getting a one on one lesson but on my own schedule.

What’s your goal when playing?
Just to have fun.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I’m drawn to the Gospel Music the most.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
Maybe 5 years

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Not really, I just try to practice correct technique and avoid bad habits.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
That’s funny! I’d probably like play with my Favorites “The Moron Brothers”. They make music a fun experience instead of work.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
No doubt a digital tuner! Haha! It’s the best thing other than having a nice instrument.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Well, I’m sure I’d find the Frank Neat of Mandolins and have one custom built.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Probably work.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
Literally, I used Google and found Ben. His videos and personal testimony was enough for me. I signed up right away.

Thanks for letting us feature you Scott!

22 Likes

Congrats on being the GPOTW!

As a Retired Guy, I think you are 100% correct about the goal of “just to have fun” when you play.
However, you might want to reconsider your answer about what you would do with extra time. :grin:

BTW- Are you any relation to the Scotty Moore who played guitar for Elvis?

4 Likes

Congrats on being named “Gold Picker of the Week”

4 Likes

Nice story Scott. I like your goal of just having fun!

3 Likes

Great meeting you Scott! I spent many years in the Lexington area.

4 Likes

Congratulations. I like your comment on practicing good technique and avoiding bad habits. Very important. Happy Picking!

4 Likes

gif Scott on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member.

3 Likes

Congrats!

3 Likes

Congrats on being the gpotw! Your path to bluegrass (and finally to this forum) is quite an interesting story…I love it when we get to read these kinds of comments. I like the Moron Brothers too, and only very recently discovered them on Facebook. I wish you all the best in your musical journey. :grinning:

2 Likes