Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Scales that rol

Hey y’all,

I’ve been learning banjo from Ben and Katie for a few months. I am trying the whole practice with purpose idea. I see a need in me for scale practice but one string scales have become a snooze fest. I found a “D scale roll” tab and it was funnier and I feel like I accomplished something. However, I have not found it for any other scales. I am visual when learning so I feel I need it. Anyone out there know where I can find all the scales tabbed with rolls? Does Banjo Ben have anything like this?
Thanks for your help in advance!

5 Likes

Can you share that tab here? I’d be interested in seeing it to get a better idea of what worked for you.

2 Likes

If my memory serves me. Alan Munde explains Arpeggio Rolls over Scales on some of his DVDs. Alas I can’t remember which DVDs. Not sure if @BanjoBen has covered this in much detail but if I am wrong I know he’ll jump right in and correct me.

I agree with @Michael_Mark it’s always good to share a TAB or Video to help explain the issue and provide us with some detail so we can come up with solutions to resolve problems. It also helps other’s who may be struggling too

1 Like

This is from Mike Parsons Bluegrass with Friends. There’s a lot of good info in this Book 1 but no closed G scale or G roll. Which I guess most people play the G open so maybe that’s the issue. Not sure but would sure like to learn all my scales closed and rolled.

2 Likes

Thanks Archie. I’m new to any type of forum so didn’t want to over share. I will be careful to share enough in the future. Lol
I am a member at banjoben and so far have not found it. I will send him a message and make the request. He has a super good lesson on practicing that sort of set me on this path anyway.

1 Like

Hi @Sissiebird Denise. Thanks for sharing the TAB. It helps us to better understand your query. I know for sure Ben will respond when he is available.

I’ll be writing you a tab tomorrow @Sissiebird :+1:

3 Likes

Also @Sissiebird don’t forget to do this lesson that has the melodic scale built into a roll exercise: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/introduction-to-melodic-banjo-banjo

2 Likes

Thank you! I will start on that today.

Hey @Sissiebird, here’s a tab with both forward-reverse and square rolls over the chords that make up the G major scale. I also included a more Scruggsy way of playing the melody to the scales. Hope this helps you out!

ScalesThatRoll.pdf (101.4 KB)
ScalesThatRoll.tef (4.5 KB)

(If you want more info on why we’re playing these specific chords, it’s all in the Fretboard Geography course.)

3 Likes

Thank you! Those are gonna make an awesome addition to my practice time!

2 Likes

Great lesson! I am working on it now and really enjoying the challenge. Thank you!

1 Like