Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sammy Shelor picks

Just got me a a pair of Sammy Shelor picks. I notice one is different than the other. Which one goes on which finger. One that has the S embossed on it has the hole farther down the blade. The one without the embossed s does not have the hole in the blade.

2 Likes

You can use either one on either finger, as they are identical in functionality-- the S is just for identification once you shape them to your fingers.

2 Likes

how far do you bend the blades to conform to finger?

2 Likes

I would say it depends on personal preference. I leave the blades of my fingerpicks fairly extended because I like the pick to ride further up on my finger (for more security), but I have a friend that cocks his so far up that they feel as if they won’t stay on the finger. Try this lesson on how to form and wear your picks:

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pickin-your-banjo-picks-banjo

3 Likes

I think the one with no S was intended for your index finger, based on the pictures on the website, but Michael is right about identical functionality.
For what it’s worth, my Shelors both have the S on them, so I think I got a mixed set, but they work great for both fingers

4 Likes

I use the one with the S on my index finger.

7 Likes

Me too (S on index). Makes no difference mechanically, but whatever helps you remember which is which. I think of S=single digit.

3 Likes

haha…silly banjo players…S stands for “second”…as in finger…:wink:

Gunnar, you’ll just have to designate two fingers as the second…:rofl:

8 Likes

Whatever fits your finger

5 Likes

Oooooohhhhh… see I’ve been putting it on my index finger because that’s mah Shootin fanger.

11 Likes

That makes much more sense to me! Hahaha

9 Likes

That’s fine, I’m second oldest in my family so all of my fingers are second :joy::joy:
And I’ve always differentiated between my picks by size anyway

6 Likes