Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sammy Shelor Picks - Nashville

Hi All

A friend of Mine is in Nashville tomorrow and he is looking to get some Sammy Shelor picks

Which music shop would he get them from?

Thanks

2 Likes

I believe Carter Vintage Guitars is a dealer, but I don’t know if they have them in stock. If he can’t find them anywhere in a Nashville store and can spare the extra time and effort, he could contact the superb folks at BlueChip over in Knoxville (https://bluechippick.net/contact-us/ or 865-622-five zero four four) and see if he can stop by to buy some. We visited while in the area and bought some picks at the facility where they are are stored and engraved (A.K.A. the shed in the Goins’ backyard).

1 Like

At a guess most banjo shop would stock them.

1 Like

Ok thanks guys

1 Like

What’s the best way to order accessories from @BanjoBen to get the best price on shipping to UK

Thanks

1 Like

Carter Vintage don’t pal

Hi Lee, Probably US Mail / Royal Mail but shipping is slow. You can’t escape VAT and handling charges by Royal Mail to recover the VAT. Even if the VAT is a small amount handling charge is a set amount that you have to pay regardless. Whilst I like to support the General Store where I can I often find the items I seek to purchase cheaper in the UK and you don’t have all the hassle of Customs & Inland Revenge. Couple of UK sources Eagle Music, Hobgoblin, Guitar Guitar, Scayles and perhaps more locally to you Promenade Music Morecambe.

I used to buy a lot of books & DVDs from the States, sometimes there were VAT charges other times not that was before Royal Mail was privatized. Suggest you do a bit of research on VAT charges there might be away of paying VAT up front so avoiding handling charge. Also there might be a limit on your purchase where you don’t need to pay VAT. I still live in hope that VAT will be scrapped now that we have Brexit If my memory is correct this tax was introduced after we joined the common market. Now that we are no longer in the union things might change like a favorable trade deal with the USA

3 Likes

We can’t dodge the necessary taxes/tariffs, however, give us an email with what you want and we’ll work up a shipping quote that is the absolute lowest we can do. Beyond that, we have noticed huge delays in delivery, but that may be better now that we’re over a year into the pandemic. https://store.banjobenclark.com/pages/contact-us

4 Likes

That’s good pal but can’t source Sammy Shelor picks here at mo :+1:

2 Likes

Does one have to pay a VAT tax on gifts that are shipped to the island?

Hi @Mike_R I am not sure what the legal answer is. All goods entering the UK have to pass through UK Customs they determine what charges apply whether it be VAT or Import Duty. The carrier ie, Post Office, UPS, FedEx etc are the ones who recover these taxes on behalf of the UK Gov. as well as recovering a handling charge which also incurs VAT - So your purchased goods - your shipping - your handling charge are all subject to VAT.

1 Like

Man… that stinks. Hopefully you don’t have a bunch of Christmas gifts come across the pond. Here’s your gift… and your bill!

3 Likes

Tax on gifts over ÂŁ30 and tax on all goods plus VAT and RoyalMail handling charges

Get Biden to agree a free trade deal :+1:

3 Likes

Our church tried to ship some products to the UK and it was almost $60 USD. Crazy how much the shipping costs are going up.

Hi @Mike_R Again I don’t have all the facts, I bought a banjo from the General Store last year knowing I would have to pay VAT on the banjo and the shipping but I didn’t expect to have to pay VAT on them processing the VAT if you follow. It wasn’t a lot of tax on the handling charge but it all added to the overall cost. I can’t see me making any new purchases from the USA any time soon.

2 Likes

It used to be a lot cheaper a few years back. @Michael_Mark and the US mail was a lot faster than it is to day.

2 Likes

This is all crazy. I wish I had some advance notice. I would have ordered from the general store and met you with them. Nashville just doesn’t serve the banjo community. At least as far as I know… Anything outside of Gruhn’s or Carter’s you will only find entry level banjos and very few of them. As far as accessories, you might find a limited supply of strings and Dunlop picks, but it’s pretty slim pickings. (pun intended)

2 Likes

That would have been good Dave but I only found out yesterday that he was in Nashville lol

2 Likes