Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Sammy fingerpicks

Just curious, I’m about to order my first good pair of picks, does everyone by the wide band or narrow band? Which ones are more comfortable?

4 Likes

Hi Justin I think I bought the wide band simply because that is the default setting in the store. I don’t think most folks would have bought two pair 1 narrow 1 wide just for comparison. The set I have are pretty comfy. Blades are a shade longer then my ProPiks which are my go to picks.

4 Likes

I own both. I may have an unpopular opinion, but I like the narrow bands better. They are what I have been using for about two years, though… Either way, you would probably find the wide bands more comfortable, but I thought they were almost too comfortable, if that makes any sense. I use the wide ones as a backup pair. That being said, there isn’t that much of a difference; I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. If in doubt, flip a coin.

4 Likes

ok thanks guys.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat with the questions about sammy’s. Thanks for the helpful info.

4 Likes

I like the wide band

3 Likes

I’ve been playing with a pair of narrows for probably a month now. They were the traditional design so I figured that’s what I’d go with. I have no complaints.

4 Likes

Wide band!

4 Likes

I have wide bands. They are comfortable and do not dig into my cuticles. I say this with a reservation.

I have started to play more single string licks. Some days I nail them and other days, NOT. I’m starting to consider consistent pick placement important playing single string licks. With a set of Nationals I feel the band as it hits the sweet spot. With the SS wide bands I don’t and I have to adjust. I like the sound of the SS picks the best over all the picks I have.

Maybe @Michael_Mark can comment on the pick placement consistency between the wide and narrow bands. Maybe I’m dreaming of a magical set of picks that will solve my single string frustration. :grimacing:

2 Likes

That’s what i got :wink:

3 Likes

It might help if you were to bend the blade up a little closer to your fingertip; that’s what I do and I have no placement problems

2 Likes

As a classical guitarist first and foremost always tried to get the picks where my nails normally would be.

3 Likes

I think the pick placement has more to do with how you fit the pick yourself rather than the band, etc. I’ve not thought much of pick placement consciously, but I do adjust how I strike the string based on tone.

2 Likes

I’m still using the same narrow bands I"ve used for years, though I’m curious to try the wides.

1 Like