Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ryan Chandler from Harker Heights Texas

IMG_4725

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I have grown up in Texas listening to country music all my life and had always wanted to learn the guitar and banjo.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I have played classical piano for 6 years, acoustic, bass, and electric guitar for 2. I have always been driven to learn as much as possible.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I have been enjoying Ben’s lesson on Cripple Creek. It allows me to hear variations of the song while following the tabs provided.

What’s your goal when playing?
I play mainly because I love music. However, I have performed several times at collective events hosted by universities near me.

What’s your favorite hobby?
I really enjoy chess, paintball, and creative writing.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I have only just begun my journey as a gold pick and am enthusiastic for the future of my banjo capabilities.

What do you do for a living?
I have 3 part time jobs and go to college full time. I am an Ambassador for Texas A&M University allowing me to meet with several government officials and employers in the area. I also teach STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) at a local academy. I also work part time at a movie theatre to allow me to get free tickets to showings.

I just turned 18 years old, I graduated high school at 15 years old, I am proficient in 6 programming languages, and I hope to complete attend Medical School after I finish my Bachelor degree.

IMG_4732

6 Likes

Nice to meet you!

Welcome! Impressive resume.

Wow, so much achievements in so little time. You got to be close to a genius! Maybe we should try chess online (Playchess??) sometime.

Wow! Congratulations on being gpotw, that’s a pretty impressive bio, nice to meet you

@jmonickaraj, you play chess? Are you on chess.com?

Dude l love chess too!

Hey Ryan, you are a freakishly wonderful young man. Keep doing what you’re doing; you have an amazing life to live me thinks. That’s a couple of great pics of you, how about one where we see your face… c’mon :slight_smile:

Hope to hear from you on the forum.

It’s good to see other youngsters playing bluegrass!

I’m (unfortunately) not on chess.com, but my bother is. I play at a lower mid level, probably considerably lower than Ryan, considering his bio :wink:

Congrats Ryan on being selected as Gold Pick Member of the Week

Nice to meet you Ryan. Congratulations!

You sound like an very impressive, young man.

I am happy you are a member and wish you well.

Your pics are very cool and syylish too! A slice of Americana!

CONGRATS!

Congrats Ryan, nice to meet you. Quite impressive! Keep up the great work and you’ll go further than you’ve ever imagined!

K_G, I’m not on chess.com. Is that a free registration? Playchess (chessbase.com) is free though. You can also play as guest without registering but challenging for a game would be tough. Free reg is there.

Ok, I’m not on any online chess site, but my brother is a member of chess.com, and yes you can get a free membership there too

1 Like

If anyone wants to feel really good about their chess skills, just play against me.

2 Likes

I’m on chess.com

:wink: In that case, Mike, are you sure you wouldn’t feel bad about your chess skill?? j/k You are programmer, right, you should do decent!

1 Like

Ryan,
Great to meet you! Hard work always pays off in the end. It sounds like you’re a hard worker!