Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Russ Carson is a giant in his industry

I’m mean seriously! Just look at him.

12 Likes

Thats so cute… i want one.

5 Likes

Me too! Apparently it’s a custom build from what I’ve been able to find.

4 Likes

Just found this thread with more videos of it from the builder and even a post or 2 from Russ’s dad, who apparently did the engraving work.

https://www.banjohangout.org/archive/346245

3 Likes

Russ’ is one of the channels I subscribe to - saw that the other day & about a year ago he had another vid on it. Pretty cool!! ‘Giant in his industry’ :grin::rofl:

4 Likes

I think he had that custom made didn’t he?

3 Likes

The maker of these banjos chooses one person per year to build one for, and that’s all he makes.

8 Likes

Yes. Check out the link 2 posts above yours. I think you’ll like it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d love to own one of these C Scale Banjos. They sound great. Gold Tone used to make them with the resonator but no longer available in the UK.

1 Like

That video is awesome! @Archie, GT still makes them for the states at least, but this is actually an octave scale, not C

They do? I was trying to find one to buy and couldn’t. I’ve half way convinced myself that I need to build one.

1 Like

Oh wait. Gold TONE. I’ve been searching for Gold STAR because that’s what’s on Russ’s head stock. I just found this:

Gold Tone BG-Mini Bluegrass Mini Banjo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RARBD0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6mc4DbHMFEMJY

It’s a full 8” longer than Russ’s, though. Still, pretty cool!

2 Likes

Hi @Mark_Rocka

Yup that’s the one, they used to be on sale in the UK for about £500 $650 but not any more. The open back Gold Tone Plucky Banjo does show up in searches.

2 Likes

Go check the mandolincafe classifieds, they sell B stock on there for big discounts

1 Like

I REALLY like the tone of that little banjo. Amazing intonation for a short scale too. And yes… Russ is huge.

2 Likes

The banjo that Russ was playing in that video was built by Marvin Walker. They are pretty incredible how he builds every piece by hand. Even the metal! Check out his website sometime and there are tons or great photos. There is also a great new video Posted by Russ Carson of Nedski and himself playing two of those banjos. It’s really neat to watch.

5 Likes

So it was true
The legend of the giant banjo player :rofl:

5 Likes