Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Rolling in E?!

Okay guys and gals, new challenge for me. My husband has a song he wants me to play along with him on the banjo. He just wants me to roll backup behind the group……in the key of E. Yikes! says I🤯

I’ve been working on Ben’s Backup Utility Rolls and have made progress in speed in G, C, D but how do I turn that roll into an E? Momma tried😉 but with no success. Help out a beginner/intermediate here.
Please and Thank You!

4 Likes

The most common ways to play in E are to either capo 2 and play in D position or capo 4 and play in C position. Both of those will lend themselves to different sounds than the other, but both are totally viable and good to practice!

Definitely check out these lessons:

Banjo Capo Strategy

How to Play in “D”

Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- C Chord

Waypoints- Learning the Banjo Neck- C Chord

Real Deal Pick 'n Fill in C

Another option is to actually tune all the strings of your banjo down three half steps to a open E chord. This will allow you to play as you normally would in G and can sound very cool, but it may not be the sound you’re looking for.

7 Likes

Adam did this on “Destination Nowhere Bound” on the first Spillwater Drive CD. I think it sounds awesome!

4 Likes

In addition to what @Michael_Mark said you can also roll over the chords in open G tuning. Which gives a much deeper tone.

Think of your C chord. Move your index finger up one string to the 3rd string first fret. That gives you your Root E chord
For your IV chord That’s easy just bar at the second fret A Chord
For your V chord That too is easy just bar at the four fret B Chord

What Are The Chords In The Key Of E Major?
I – E major, E major seventh (Emaj, Emaj7)
ii – F sharp minor, F# minor seventh (F#m, F#m7)
iii – G sharp minor, G# minor seventh (G#m, G#m7)
IV – A major, A major seventh (A, Amaj 7)
V – B major, B dominant seventh (B, B7)
vi – C sharp minor, C# minor seventh (C#m, C#m7)

2 Likes