Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Robert Storrs from Winter Springs, Florida

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
The folk music revival in the ‘60s introduced me to the beauty of acoustic instruments and old-time country music.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’ve been playing for more than 50 years. My motivation is all the beautiful new music and players I continually am discovering, as well as my desire to improve.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
At Anne’s Reel- timing!!

What’s your goal when playing?
I want to learn to play the song, but I also want to adapt it to my own style of play

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I play guitar mainly, but I also play banjo, mandolin, dulcimer and autoharp.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
For about a year now, I think.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Finger picking

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
If I were good enough, I would love to sit in with Ben and The Purple Hulls! They are amazing!

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I like Breedlove guitars, and Chubb capos for all my instruments.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
1937 Martin D28, a pre-war Gibson F4 mandolin with oval sound hole, and a new Gold Tone Twanger Banjo.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
get better on the banjo!

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
He was recommended by a fellow guitarist. After listening to him, I was pleased with the obvious strength of his Christian faith. Then reading his bio, and those of his sisters, made me decide that theses were the kind of people I wanted to support and learn from! ( it helps that he is extremely talented!!:blush:)

13 Likes

Congrats Robert

1 Like

Great!

1 Like

Congrats on being GPOTW Robert! Hope to see you around the forum!

1 Like

Hello Robert, we are almost neighbors… I live in Lake Panasoffkee, Fl. about 1 1/2 hours due west of Winter Springs, Fl.

3 Likes

We just received word that Bob passed away. He was going to come to the St. Pete camp this weekend, but he opted for a much better place :wink: We will miss him and we are praying for his wife and family!

12 Likes

Thoughts and prayers.

4 Likes