Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Road to Spencer Jim Mills banjo break

Currently learning by ear the lead break Jim Mills plays on Road to Spencer. I’m only playing it slow at the moment as its a bit tricky. Jim of course really gives it some bite as well as speed and Russ who now plays in Kentucky Thunder, has put his own stamp on it equally as good.
I’m also trying to learn it on mandolin so I can record both together once I can get it down good enough. (Which will be some time I imagine :rofl:)
Just love this tune. Anyway here’s my slower attempt at it. :+1:

18 Likes

You picked all of that up by ear? Man that’s fantastic!

I can’t wait to hear your final goal recording. Great job!

7 Likes

Great job, @Jono! Did you use Russ Carson’s lesson to help you learn that?

5 Likes

Thanks all. Yes Michael and Mark, I started off with Russ’s tutorial then used that as a base to then listen to Jim’s version on youtube, I slowed down the YouTube video so I could try and pick out Jim’s version which is a little different. I may not have it exactly but as long as it works for me I’m happy with it. Just need to work on the rough edges now. :wink::+1:

7 Likes

Wow , good job Jona.
Always loved that song.
Maybe you could teach that to the rest of us ?

4 Likes

Very nice John. I got addicted to that tune when I saw Ricky in a really big jam. It got in my head and I started on it a couple months ago. It is so fun to play, ins’t it?

Man, you did a great job. If you post another video of it, would love to see your left hand too. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thats awesome Jono

2 Likes

And that’s what it’s all about!

3 Likes

Great sound and pace! Can hardly wait to hear it further along. Very impressive you were able to learn it by ear.

2 Likes

That sounds very cool, could you share the tab file for that? I would like to learn that one. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great picking!!

2 Likes

Is “a banjo break” a banjo solo?

3 Likes

@Brent.H
Good Question!
yes…and no

the terms are used interchangeably by many to describe when the banjo is playing the “lead” part,

but…“solo” actually has no accompaniment… it means “alone”

4 Likes

OK, you’re one of those sticklers for the truth then, huh? Love it :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

In today’s world one must learn to read carefully…:wink:.

2 Likes