Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

RK-75 Tailpiece

seems like RK remove the screw as the pro’s dont like it

I think it’s personal taste. You can put a screw in and as long as you don’t crank down on the tail piece and screw in the screw really tight I think you can adjust it down safely. It’s all down to how you like it to sound. A bit more downward pressure crisps it up. But I’ve found that a tight head combined with a thinner bridge does this more than the Tailpiece adjustment.
My gold star head is at A# and I have a bog standard bridge that I sanded thinner and cut crow spacing slots in mine. This gives me the tone I like. However, the tone I Iike may not be what the next man/woman likes. All just taste.
By the way, I also use a drum dial when I tighten my head to get even pressure. It’s about 93 on my drum dial. Anyway that’s a whole other topic. :wink:

BTW… I may be wrong but I’m sure I’ve seen RKs with the screw in so maybe they forgot to fit it?
@BanjoBen deals with RKs so he may be able to tell you whether any he has have the screw fitted. Like I say, maybe it just got overlooked on yours or fell out before shipping.

The message i got back from RK was…

Hi Lee,

_I went and talked to the Banjo designer to see if we had any screws to send and we do not as he told me that the screw only holds the tailpiece in place when changing strings - our professional artists all requested us to remove this screw in production, which we did. This screw is intended to be missing; but we kept the hole as a nod to tradition. _

Thanks,

Wow… ive so much to learn… i just use a scorpion bridge 5/8 that was given as a gift when i bought the banjo

Scorpion is a good banjo bridge. I’d stick with that. There are all sorts of bridges, standard spacing, compensated 3rd, moon bridges, Crowe spacing, compensated (all strings) Bridge, different tops and woods etc. Endless possibilities :slight_smile:
Just checked the presto that I put on my Ashbury a while back and that one has no screw or even a screw hole. The presto is sitting parallel to the banjo head.

I should rephrase that… Its a Presto style as it doesn’t have presto stamped on it.

Thanks for that pal it’s a mine field of stuff at the mo but I’ve slackens my head a little and raised the tail piece slightly sounds better to me as the head was and A so took it a nudge down to G sharp :+1:

Mine to me looks pretty similar don’t you think @Jono

Yep, looks good to me. If anything it’s lower than mine so I would be happy with that. If it sounds good to you then stick with that. :+1:

ok pal cool thanks for that i defo cant get it parallel :+1:

BTW… Where did you buy your RK from in UK? Just out of interest.

I got it from a music shop in Ireland pal the only place i could find one outside of the USA and the owner Kieran was great to deal with

https://www.moloneymusic.com/Products/Banjos_and_Ukeleles/5_String_Banjos_#nav20BanjosandUkeleles

I’m sure he’s only one RK-75 left now as he only had 2 when i got mine… he also has RK-35’s as well

You after one?

OK thanks. Not at the moment, but it’s nice to know for future reference. Eagle music also stock a good range of banjos. Unfortunately they don’t stock rk 35s or 75s that I’ve seen. They do stock some high end banjos like prucha and Stelling etc but these are pretty pricey being top of the range. They stock good mid range as well.
I would love to purchase from Ben but with shipping and import tax plus biting my nails on the overseas shipping it’s not really feasible for me in the UK.

Thanks for the info mate. :+1:

Yes pal i know what you mean i too would love to support Ben and he does have some great deals on Banjos & Mandolins but like you say being in the UK its so expensive shipping over with the customs charges.

Ive seen the stuff at Eagle Music and they do have some great banjos and im going to take a trip there at some point and convince the wife that she needs a new stelling… :grinning:

I think @archie got he’s from there

Maybe all us this side of the pond should meet there and play great banjos all day…lol

Cheers

also pal if you ever decide you want an RK-75 then you are welcome to try mine out anytime

Thanks mate… Yes I would love to take a trip up there too at some point. Haha good luck with convincing the Wife about a new Stelling. :joy:
Unfortunately with a 1 year old to pay for I don’t think my other half would be too pleased if I bought another banjo just yet. :rofl: However, would love to possibly purchase an RK in the future or maybe another Gold star but the 100 FE model. My dream gold star would be the gold plated Crowe model like the one Russ Carson plays. That sounds Awsome, mind you it’s down to his expert playing. Oh and a huber like the one Ben plays. Oh dear… So many choices an not a big enough wallet haha. :rofl::+1:

lol… lottery win maybe

Howdy Folks,

I know I’m way late to this party, and I didn’t read every comment on this thread (they was a whole bunch of em, haha.)  But, the original tailpiece in question looks mostly good.  Most pros like them set right above the tension hoop with no downward adjustment or tilt via the screw in back.  This is preferred for the most open tone possible with that style of tailpiece setup.  So yes, it is true...most pros throw this little tilt adjustment screw in the back plum away.  Yours truly included.  Haha.  And yeah, those cover plates can rattle if they’re not sitting just right.  You can pop them off if you choose or glue a little piece of felt under the cover plate where it rests against the main portion of the tail piece.

Thanks for that Jake