Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

RK-75 Tailpiece

it was new in a box pal and i didn’t notice anything left in it so will try and source one

Thanks

This is a pic of the RK-75 tail piece of RK’s website also showing no adjustment screw

Hi Lee, This tailpiece is of a different design to the one you posted in your original post.

If you look closely there is an adjustment screw. The tip of the arrow shows the position of a clamp hole and a the top of a cross point screw.

tailpiece

Hi @Archie

not sure why that is as its the same banjo RK-75…

I was meaning the small hole above the adjustment nut like on other tail pieces that adjusts the camber of the front of the tailpiece up and down

Cheers

Hi Lee, Manufacturers change spec’s all the time. Depending on what parts are available.

In your original post I see what appears to be two holes in the tailpiece but it’s hard to determine from the angle of the photo If either of these holes should have an adjustable screw. Which is why I suggested you might care to contact RK. A luthier might be able to give you an answer. I am just guessing at what I see.

My Stelling and Fender banjo’s both have similar adjustment screws despite having different tailpieces.

My original bottle top banjo had an adjustment screw like the photo with the arrow.

Hi Archie

I see… I have dropped RK an email to see what they say

Thanks for all the help and advise

Your welcome

Hi All

I also seem to be getting a bit of unwanted rattle from the string cover on the presto style tailpiece on the RK-75. I was tuning up last night and heard a bit of rattling and when i held the lid of the presto with my finger it seemed to go away.

Do you think that its worth getting something like a Prucha Kerchner tailpiece and is this an upgrade to the one i have?

Thanks

@Archie

Hi Pal

This is the reply from RK regarding the hole in the tailpiece that i though was missing

Hi Lee,

I went and talked to the Banjo designer to see if we had any screws to send and we do not as he told me that the screw only holds the tailpiece in place when changing strings - our professional artists all requested us to remove this screw in production, which we did. This screw is intended to be missing; but we kept the hole as a nod to tradition.

We have a saying here in Scotland “Well I’ve heard it all now” It’s a response in disbelief ie. Bullsh**

If the screw is only used to fit or change strings then you need it to change or fit strings.

Have a chat with these guy’s. They supply luthiers across the world and are considered experts

https://www.stewmac.com/

Ok pal will do and i thought the same… lol

Most Presto Tailpiece do have a little screw. I have seen some sold without. Apparently Earl Scruggs back in the day said the first thing he did was take that screw out and bin it. So I think after that a lot of people started taking the screw out, so a few of the suppliers don’t put a screw in there.
On my Ashbury banjo, I took off the Kershner and bought a new presto. It does have a tiny screw adjustment. However you don’t want too much downward pressure as a presto can break over time. This is what I’ve heard anyway.
You could also try contacting Andy banjo in the UK. They could probably advise.
I’ll check mine and see if I can find out what screw size it is.

BTW… My gold star has a more heavy duty presto with a larger adjuster screw.

Ok thanks for that pal…

I thought the kerschner tailpiece was a better tailpiece so how come you removed it for a presto?

Just my personal preference really. I’m not sure the kerschener is better. I didn’t find it so anyway. Think it’s down to what you like or what you find easier really.
BTW, that cover shouldn’t be rattling on your presto. They can get worn loose over a long period of time, but as it’s a new banjo, it shouldn’t be loose now.

This is how it should look. -3360-p

When it comes to preferences personally I like the design of the tail piece on my Stelling. It’s a simple design that’s used on several makes of banjo. It’s so much easier to replace the strings on my Stelling than it is on my Fender which has a clam shell design. It takes a lot more effort to prise open the clam and it’s really awkward trying to feed the strings through the hole whilst fighting against a heavy spring, finally when you manage to hook the loop of the string and start to wind at the peg head the darn loop slips off the hook and you have to go back and wrestle with that clam shell again.

Some good tips here on setting up a presto Tailpiece.

Hi Jono

Yes i’ve seen that pal really good but no mention how to lower the front of the presto to the desired angle etc

Cheers

Hi @Jono

after watching again he mentions that with it being a floating tailpiece theres no adjustment for the front of it and thats how its supposed to be so given i’ve got it sat at around 1/8" off the hoop its about as good as i’m going to get it although comments above suggest that the front seems a little high of the head, which is what confused me as there appears to be no way i could drop the front down

Thanks