Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

RK-75 Tailpiece

Most Presto Tailpiece do have a little screw. I have seen some sold without. Apparently Earl Scruggs back in the day said the first thing he did was take that screw out and bin it. So I think after that a lot of people started taking the screw out, so a few of the suppliers don’t put a screw in there.
On my Ashbury banjo, I took off the Kershner and bought a new presto. It does have a tiny screw adjustment. However you don’t want too much downward pressure as a presto can break over time. This is what I’ve heard anyway.
You could also try contacting Andy banjo in the UK. They could probably advise.
I’ll check mine and see if I can find out what screw size it is.

BTW… My gold star has a more heavy duty presto with a larger adjuster screw.

Ok thanks for that pal…

I thought the kerschner tailpiece was a better tailpiece so how come you removed it for a presto?

Just my personal preference really. I’m not sure the kerschener is better. I didn’t find it so anyway. Think it’s down to what you like or what you find easier really.
BTW, that cover shouldn’t be rattling on your presto. They can get worn loose over a long period of time, but as it’s a new banjo, it shouldn’t be loose now.

This is how it should look. -3360-p

When it comes to preferences personally I like the design of the tail piece on my Stelling. It’s a simple design that’s used on several makes of banjo. It’s so much easier to replace the strings on my Stelling than it is on my Fender which has a clam shell design. It takes a lot more effort to prise open the clam and it’s really awkward trying to feed the strings through the hole whilst fighting against a heavy spring, finally when you manage to hook the loop of the string and start to wind at the peg head the darn loop slips off the hook and you have to go back and wrestle with that clam shell again.

Some good tips here on setting up a presto Tailpiece.

Hi Jono

Yes i’ve seen that pal really good but no mention how to lower the front of the presto to the desired angle etc

Cheers

Hi @Jono

after watching again he mentions that with it being a floating tailpiece theres no adjustment for the front of it and thats how its supposed to be so given i’ve got it sat at around 1/8" off the hoop its about as good as i’m going to get it although comments above suggest that the front seems a little high of the head, which is what confused me as there appears to be no way i could drop the front down

Thanks

seems like RK remove the screw as the pro’s dont like it

I think it’s personal taste. You can put a screw in and as long as you don’t crank down on the tail piece and screw in the screw really tight I think you can adjust it down safely. It’s all down to how you like it to sound. A bit more downward pressure crisps it up. But I’ve found that a tight head combined with a thinner bridge does this more than the Tailpiece adjustment.
My gold star head is at A# and I have a bog standard bridge that I sanded thinner and cut crow spacing slots in mine. This gives me the tone I like. However, the tone I Iike may not be what the next man/woman likes. All just taste.
By the way, I also use a drum dial when I tighten my head to get even pressure. It’s about 93 on my drum dial. Anyway that’s a whole other topic. :wink:

BTW… I may be wrong but I’m sure I’ve seen RKs with the screw in so maybe they forgot to fit it?
@BanjoBen deals with RKs so he may be able to tell you whether any he has have the screw fitted. Like I say, maybe it just got overlooked on yours or fell out before shipping.

The message i got back from RK was…

Hi Lee,

_I went and talked to the Banjo designer to see if we had any screws to send and we do not as he told me that the screw only holds the tailpiece in place when changing strings - our professional artists all requested us to remove this screw in production, which we did. This screw is intended to be missing; but we kept the hole as a nod to tradition. _

Thanks,

Wow… ive so much to learn… i just use a scorpion bridge 5/8 that was given as a gift when i bought the banjo

Scorpion is a good banjo bridge. I’d stick with that. There are all sorts of bridges, standard spacing, compensated 3rd, moon bridges, Crowe spacing, compensated (all strings) Bridge, different tops and woods etc. Endless possibilities :slight_smile:
Just checked the presto that I put on my Ashbury a while back and that one has no screw or even a screw hole. The presto is sitting parallel to the banjo head.

I should rephrase that… Its a Presto style as it doesn’t have presto stamped on it.

Thanks for that pal it’s a mine field of stuff at the mo but I’ve slackens my head a little and raised the tail piece slightly sounds better to me as the head was and A so took it a nudge down to G sharp :+1:

Mine to me looks pretty similar don’t you think @Jono

Yep, looks good to me. If anything it’s lower than mine so I would be happy with that. If it sounds good to you then stick with that. :+1:

ok pal cool thanks for that i defo cant get it parallel :+1:

BTW… Where did you buy your RK from in UK? Just out of interest.