Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Right Hand Position Tips Needed

I’m beginner level and would appreciate some good advice/tips on maintaining a solid right hand fingers curved playing position.
I have no problem with anchoring and I begin with fingers curved but as I seem to warm up and get into my practice session, my fingers seem to drift upward into a straight position. As such, my speed, although not very fast at this stage, does seem to be affected and timing also to a lesser degree. My guess is because of the actual increase in space between the strings.
Is there a physical prop of sorts to assist temporarily with developing a good right hand position ?
I’ve considered placing a small ball under my palm during right hand exercises to perhaps train my ol’ timer
brain to do what I want !! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Can you post a video of your right hand as you play? Sometimes a slightly misplaced position can cause you problems.

This can be an issue that simply improves as you get more used to playing, however, so don’t get too discouraged.

3 Likes

Hi @kooseman Steve. My best advice is to watch @BanjoBen 's hands closely. See how his fingers are relaxed and curled. Picture that position in your head and hold it there as you practice playing rolls. Don’t overthink it

As you point out you are a beginner. So why are you playing fast? Would be my question. Take it slow, be patient, speed will come in time.

Don’t obsess with looking for faults, it’s a common thing in beginners. I received a lot of bad advice as a beginner mostly on the BHO and Banjo Holler. I stopped following their advice and focused on what Ben was teaching me. I quickly stopped obsessing negative thoughts and focused on the positive things I was being taught. I didn’t take up the banjo till I was in my 60’s I am now 76 and still learning.

As for the ball technique, trust me it’s a distraction popular with followers of JD Crowe who’s wrist position was quite unique among banjo players. Watch the video below see how all the picking hands differ.

I also echo @Michael_Mark 's advice. post a video, let Ben see your hand and let him guide you going forward.

Thanks to you Archie and Michael for the encouragement. Looks like we’re of the same era age-wise.
I also began in my 60’s but poor instruction and life circumstances put a temporary halt to my banjo adventure.
Thought I’d give it one last shot so becoming a GP Member was a God send and I’m off and running. Well, maybe crawling is more realistic :laughing:
Maybe speed was the wrong choice of words for sure. Anything beyond an agonizing crawl I consider a form of speed.
I’ve only been a GP Member for 6 months but I have honestly learned more in that time than any of my
previous (failed) endeavors. I believe this is because of the structured, objective/goal based instruction in Ben’s course. Plus all the additional addendums and support ensure continued motivation and success.
BTW … I also share your sentiments about the BHO (yikes at best) !!!
I did watch the video of the banjo greats and did note the various right hand positions.
Unbelievable!!!
Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.
Pick On !!!

2 Likes

Thanks Michael for the advice.
I do use a physical anchor to help me maintain a solid, consistent placement of my ring finger.
As I mentioned to Archie, perhaps speed was not a good choice of words currently.
Crawl might be more appropriate. !!!
I’m not too tech savvy so I’m not sure how to post a video for review but I’ll certainly make a deliberate effort to keep fingers curled … also slow & patient as guidelines during practice.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: video, the best way will be to upload your video to YouTube and then post the link here. If it’s easier, you can email your video to me and I’ll post it (unlisted) for you.

One more tip: keep in mind your picking hand fingers are affected not just by your hand/anchor position, but your entire body, really. Ben’s lesson on posture is a great one to review quite a bit.

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-boot-camp–overview-holding-and-strap-banjo/video/how-to-hold-a-banjo

1 Like