Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ricky Skaggs CMA HOF Induction

Great questions Will. I’ve often wondered the same things.

I didn’t say that. :wink:

1 Like

I am rather amazed. I have more credit that I rather felt that most instances are REAL playing… and only occasionally were SOME parts tracked.

I get it… the risk to have something to wrong can be just too high is some instances.

I also feel like @Mark_Rocka… The disappointment with being fooled… Or WANTING to be convinced and impressed by the playing.

Well, such is life in the bigtime, I guess.

Thanks for the inside scoop, @BanjoBen.

1 Like

It’s nothing new…The Lawrence Welk Show lip synced stuff…

I remember seeing Boston at the Capital Center in D.C. in 1978.

They had a huge screen in the center, and I caught Brad Doelp lip syncing on the big screen…I was crushed. :disappointed:

@Treblemaker I can see why. Wasnt it Millie Vanillie that got caught lip syncing one, (some or all)of their songs?.

1 Like

Yes, it was. At that point I had deserted what they were calling “rock” music.

By the way, they had to surrender their grammies, and one of them was so distraught over what happened that he committed suicide…As did Pete Hamm from the group Badfinger over losing their deal with Apple Records.

And to add to that, there was a group back in the early 90’s called CC Music Factory that was disbanded, because it was found out that the woman in the video “Everybody Dance Now” didn’t sing it at all.

The actual singer of that song, was considered too unattractive for marketing.

One more thing, Millie Vanillie were not the actual singers of any of their music.

There’s a big difference in what Milli Vanilli did and what we were doing. The tracks we played to were actually tracks of us playing in a studio. We did it for technical reasons. MV had other folks actually sing for them in the studio, if I’m not mistaken. They were faking the whole thing.

Plus, if you will just listen to Taylor’s vocal, you can tell it’s actually her singing live :scream_cat:

Today she still sings live… just without a soul. :smiling_imp:

I recall attending a ‘LIVE’ concert in the Usher Hall Edinburgh many many years ago to see Barbara Dickson ( Made famous by Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Evita) I could tell right from the outset that the only thing LIVE was their presence on stage, The band was faking and she was lip-sinking. We had purchased front row seats which cost a small fortune and I felt in a sense we had been robbed. I had been a huge fan of Barbara up to that point.

2 Likes

So, if I understand all of this correctly, is it possible that Elvis didn’t really sing all of the songs in his movies… that he was lip synching to his recordings!!!

I don’t know if I can ever watch “Clambake” again now! Way to go ya’all!

1 Like

@BanjoBen i agree 100% with you, Ben, I was not trying to compare the video to Millie Vanilli at all. Big difference in doing a “live” awards show and “lip syncing” as to faking vocals on an album or whatever for profit. I really don’t understand why someone would do that and I would have to guess its pretty difficult to get a “record deal”. If you have the talent and ability to make great music why would you WANT to fake it? I do not have any personal knowledge of how things work on “shows” this is my “Mr. Spock” interpretation.

@jw11 I’m sure that’s going to be true in any movie where singing is involved. I would have to guess that they may be actually singing while doing that particular scene, but sound stages are “HUGE” so I don’t think the sound would project very well, big difference in “lip-synching” your own voice as to having “somebody” else’s voice in place. I wouldn’t let it deter you from any of Elvis’ movies. :wink:

1 Like

This would be like virtually any music video out there, unless there are clips from the studio spliced in, of course.

1 Like

If Milli Vanilli were an act today, they could get by without having to have someone sing for them. The tuning software is so advanced now that literally anyone can be made to sound great.

I need to get me some of that.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve seen pitch correction used with great effect. That, along with live canned applause SW.

I remember hearing years ago that Claudia Schiffer was approached to become a singer. When she told whoever was asking that she couldn’t sing, they responded by saying that was OK. She didn’t need to be able to.

If I remember correctly, MV was performing live and the recording quit working. They were toast.

1 Like

@BanjoBen I think I have an ok voice. I had a friend tell me one time that "I should sing solo, so I said really? and he said yes, “Solo I can’t hear you”… :confused:

2 Likes