Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Richard O'Malley from Averill Park, New York

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site?
I like the early Blackberry Blossom guitar lesson. When Ben was still doing videos in the living room with a Taylor. Also messed around quite a bit with his g run licks.

How long have you been playing?
I just turned 50 and have been playing on and off without discipline since my teens.

What’s your favorite hobby?
I have a bunch of hobbies: enjoying music, cooking, bowhunting, bass fishing, brewing beer - they are the big ones.

Which character on banjobenclark.com do you resonate with most and why?
The character I would say I’m the most like is probably the real Ben having fun and cracking jokes when they arise.

What was your inspiration to learn how to play the guitar?
I was already playing rock music. But what led me here is Bluegrass music. I was flipping through the XM channels and stumbled on a Kyle Cantrell track by track show of Steep Canyon Rangers. Then I heard a few Jerry Douglas licks. I was talking to someone about it and they recommend I listen to Tony Rice. Now I go to my local festival every year and dream of being able to improvise on guitar at 135 bpm. I also mess around with mandolin and banjo.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I’ve been a gold pick member about 5-6 years.

What’s your instrument of choice?
My instrument of choice is my Bourgeois v2md dread. It’s a mahogany dread made with hide glue and has a varnish finish. It is a beast. I also have an Eastman f style mandolin and a Deering maple Sierra banjo.

What do you do for a living?
I am a Chevrolet salesperson.
O'Malley_Richard%20GPMW

9 Likes

Congratulations Richard on being the first!

1 Like

Welcome. Here in FL the beer brewing is temp sensitive sometimes. Without a way to control the fermentation temp other than room temp, I brew ales mostly. Got a favorite brew? Enjoy the forum.

It’s great to hear from other members here on the site. This is going to be a lot of fun. Good to meet you Richard!

Man I bet the personal stories and histories are all over the place…and all very similar too. Good to meet you, Rich.

Congrats Richard

Congratulations Richard!

Wow. That a great start. Congrats Richard.