Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Request for new songs in lesson lineup

Hi Ben, and all others. I’m a new/old student, meaning I joined several years ago, let my membership lapse, sat around playing chords for a couple years, and decided I need to go back and just start over with my learning. I think I need to concentrate on music theory, and learn how to play up the neck. I have a couple of songs that I would love to see in the lesson lineup, and don’t know where else to post my request for you to work them in. Maybe you’ve already done them, and I just can’t find them, and you could just point me in the right direction. The Old Home Place by the Dillards is one, and the other is Gentle on my mind, since I have been mesmerized by Tim O’Brien’s version lately. Sorry in advance, if this is the wrong venue to post a request like this, I’ll learn my way around the site eventually.

4 Likes

HI @jshepdog, and welcome to the forum!

I believe there are currently copyright issues that prevent including lessons on these songs…sorry.

2 Likes

That’s what I wondered. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I’ll just stick with the lessons that are already established, there are certainly enough of them to keep me busy for a long time. Thanks again, FW

4 Likes

Hey Jim! Welcome to the board. @Fiddle_wood is right about the copyright issue. Which instrument are you trying to learn? I tabbed out Old Home Place on banjo a while back. You’re welcome to a copy if that’s your poison. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to live by Mitch Jayne (Dillard’s bass player) that wrote the song - “The Old Home Place” - if he were still around, I’d ask him to give you permission! He was a character.

2 Likes

The Old Home Place was on here at some point so @BanjoBen may be able to get you a tab. I have the guitar tab at least.

4 Likes

@BanjoBen 's site is the best for learning, but if you’re looking for a particular song that isn’t on here, you can still go to other sites, youtube, etc. to find the tabs.

4 Likes

I’m just a Beginner banjo picker so maybe I’m all wrong, but it seems to me if Ben can teach me how to play the instrument, then I should be able to figure out how to play any song I like.
In the meantime, I have to learn songs I don’t like, but they teach me how to play the banjo, which I do like.
I never really liked “Boil Dem Cabbage Down,” but I do now!

5 Likes