Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Reggie Penberthy from Eolia, Missouri

(The picture is of me on the right playing with my Dad backing me up on his Martin.)

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I love the gospel finger style lessons that Ben provides. I started playing finger style many years ago and had some proficiency there but Ben’s lessons have brought me to a higher level that just thrills me.

What’s your goal when playing?
I am a closet picker now that most of my bluegrass playing family members have passed on. I guess that’s why I enjoy sitting down with Ben every morning and playing. He has become a part of the legacy.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I play the banjo, guitar, mandolin and dobro. I also have electric guitars and amps where I like to play rock, doo wop, blues, etc. I enjoy most genres but bluegrass is what I work the hardest on.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I have been a member of the Gold Pick family for four or five years now.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I love a challenge and Ben has no limit in providing me with complicated runs and licks. My uncle who is an extremely accomplished guitarist comments, “Where did you learn these fancy licks”?

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
That is a great question. My favorite bluegrass band was and still is Hot Rize. That would be the one.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
Simple. The Elliott capo I bought from the Banjo Ben Store.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I have a nice collection of stringed instruments and am very satisfied with what I currently own. But, you never know when the urge will strike to purchase something new. If money were no object, I would like to buy all of Vince Gill’s guitar collection.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Easy question and answer…I would be working on my guitar skills.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
Gosh. Now you are making things tough. I probably found Banjo Ben while cruising on You Tube. That is likely.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Any aspiring artist should start with Ben’s concise teaching method. The world is a better place when you can sit on the back porch and jam with your buddies or just by one’s self. A pure pleasure. Thanks Ben.

11 Likes

Hey Reggie! Glad to know you. Congrats on being GPotW!

Vince Gill’s collection? Good choice!

1 Like

What Mark said!

Congrats on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick member Reggie

Congrats on being selected as the gpotw. That’s awesome to be from a family of pickers! Being a closet picker myself, it’s easy to relate to some of your comments. Thanks so much for sharing.

Nice to get to know you!

Congratulations Reggie. Looks like we’re practically neighbors. I live right down the road from you in Foley. Maybe I’ll run into sometime.
A fellow closet picker,
Gene

Its a pleasure to meet you Reggie. You are right, this site does make the world a better place. I’m thankful we all have this site!

A pleasure to meet you Gene.

What great responses! Congrats on the award. As a long-time member, I cannot imagine a more deserving recipient!