Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recording (One man band)

I was wondering how I would record multiple instruments (guitar, mandolin, banjo, bass) and layer them to make a mp3. I can figure out most of it, but how do I keep all the instruments at the same tempo? When do I record the singing? I know a one man band that does it, and I know @BanjoBen does it for his backing tracks.

1 Like

Well, my process is this. I usually record the melody on one instrument, then I record the backup instrument. How this has worked is if I’m playing say, a guitar, a mandolin and a banjo, I’ll play the whole melody on mandolin, the I’ll record the guitar backup, then I’ll mute the section of melody where the solo will be and record say, banjo backup and solo in one take. Then mandolin, then guitar, then I add bass and remove the scaffolding tracks. I always listen in earbuds to the other instruments as I record each track

2 Likes

Hi Harrison, this is a great query and one I always hoped @BanjoBen would respond to with a fly-on-the-wall video. We chatted about this in the run up to the construction of the NEW website. Back then he was messing around with some miniature camera’s and I run the idea pasted him but I think in the end there were some technical issues that got in the way. I seem to recall a conversation where @Mark_Rocka chatted about this in a thread a while back. Maybe when he’s free he will respond with some advice.

2 Likes

I use a Tascam 8-track digital recorder. It’s easier than computer software and has no latency problems. Also, the built in mics are killer…as good as any of my expensive mics and better than most…

Normally I’ll cut the rhythm to a click track first then add Bass. If I had a mandolin I’d then fill out the rhythm parts fo that.

With the rhythm section finished I’d tackle vocals next…lead first, then tenor, then baritone.

fills, backup, and breaks would be the final recording sessions.

Just my way of doing things…

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! What program do you edit the audio, and layer them exactly?

1 Like

Edited, I misunderstood your post while passing thru fast. So you were asking how to record multiple instruments the same tempo as opposed to what to use.

2 Likes

I mainly use GarageBand. Works good enough both on my Mac and my iPhone and iPad. If you don’t have any of those, there are several PC apps to get the job done, but I don’t have any experience with them.

2 Likes

Yep, I use garageband too. @charlie_burt, check out Carter vintage guitars YouTube channel for that same device, they recently put up a video of Molly Tuttle using it

2 Likes

That’s what I like about my “pocket studio” I can mix thi gs down on the same machine
I do have Audacity if I want to record and mix onmy computer though.

2 Likes

I use Logix Pro X for software and an Apollo Quad for the interface.

1 Like