Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recording Kings in the Cabin

No excuses now Bob with that little beauty to pick. Better get busy pickin out some tunes to play. Congrats and Happy Days ahead.

1 Like

No kidding, Archie and thanks! She’s a beaut…

Hi Bob,

Now that you have had the RK for awhile, what are your impressions? I am wanting one… someday, perhaps.

Do you know if it is made in the USA?

1 Like

Hi Will!

Sorry for the late reply. It’s designed to exacting detail in the US, but I believe made in China and that’s a HUGE surprise because this is one high quality banjo! Not that I have a lot of experience with banjos and to be honest I struggle to find time every day to practice. But I did TONS of research before joining @BanjoBen AND before buying this RK-R36 from him as well and I regret neither one and in fact I’m very glad I did. Every review I read on the 36 is that they’re so much more banjo than what you’re paying for and it’s comparable to some high end instruments. Just ask Ben!

My only comparison is to my starter banjo that I had for just a month prior, a Harmony Marquis with a cast aluminum pot. That’s a decent starter but I wanted to learn on a professional instrument, as anyone should. I seriously looked into the Deering Goodtimes, and the Goodtime Artisans with the tone ring, but every review STILL said the RK36 was a better banjo all around and had more pro features.

My impressions?
Heavy. A lot heavier than my first banjo, but that’s because of all the wood pot and the tone ring that truly makes the sound as amazing as it does. Can’t complain about that.

The build, fit and finish are flawness and she’s just beautiful! I actually keep a microfiber in the case to wipe her down and keep her looking that good.

The tone is excellent up and down the neck and the biggest thing I noticed is that I don’t have to tune it as much as my first banjo. There’s no slop in the tuners at all and Ben had it professionally set up for me as a beginner with a light action and it’s made a world of difference. She played perfect out of the box and still does! That said, I’ve taken her out of the case (I keep her cased and horizontal when not in use) and after two days and she was still in tune, and that’s checking with a digital SNARK tuner!

So I have very little experience and skill and not much tom compare it to. But I absolutely LOVE everything about this banjo and I’m glad I made the choice and thankful for all Ben’s help.

Hope that helps you decide. IMHO, you can’t go wrong with any banjo from Ben, and if you want one of the best, get the RK-R36 from him. You won’t be disappointed!

Regards,
Bob

2 Likes

I am happy for you my friend! You are the one that served in the Navy - Retired, yes? I served 6 years in the Air Force. Thanks for your service! Enjoy that good ole Banjo…

1 Like

Thanks Will and yes sir, I am! 84-04 and retired as a Senior Chief (E-8) the Command Senior Enlisted at my command! Thanks for your service as well!

Made in China with strict oversight from the US guys…that’s the only way you could get this high quality of an instrument for such a price.

2 Likes

I want to think I can actually see ordering one in my future.

I have a question: Can we order one to include the 5th String Spikes and/or adjustable one? Also, can zero-glide Nut installation be included in setup?

Also, what do you think of the zero-glide nut feature?

1 Like

You won’t regret it. I don’t personally get excited about that nut…we professionally set up each instrument before it ships to make sure it plays as good as possible. I do recommend the spikes and I do install them. If you really want a 5th string capo I can do that, but you need spikes.

3 Likes

Thanks for the guidance and solid opinion.

We as new players need that sort of direction or Shepherd to guide us on the good path.

Since I have a beginner Hollowback, this Resonator is the logical BIG next step. Ahhh… to dream!

2 Likes

Bit late to the RK party, but I picked up a used RK-R37-SN (sunburst) in excellent condition very recently. It’s the same as the 35/36 but has a maple neck and mahogany reso, all finished in gloss.

My local banjer mentor fixed the tailpiece, tightened the head and the tuners and restrung it and then said it’s all the banjo I’d ever need.

Just got to keep practicing now until I can do it justice!

:slight_smile: Steve

6 Likes