Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Recording King RK-76 Elite, Gold Star, Gold Tone OB-3

I’m squirreling some money away for my next banjo purchase, which I hope to make in June. I’m on a budget, so my cap will be about $1200-$1500. I have always resisted Chinese-made banjos, though I’ve owned Gold Tone WL-250 and a Carlin BC-350 and both were decent instruments–though they did look cheaper than even the entry-level Deering Goodtimes. I’m currently playing a Goodtime openback.

Either I hunt around for a used Deering or Hatfield in that price range, or I swallow my bias and buy a RK or a Gold Tone, possibly used as well.

Roundabout way of asking: has anyone had the chance to compare the RK-76 and the Gold Tone OB-3? How about the Gold Star JD Crowe model?

1 Like

I almost bought the RK76. From what I have seen they sound awesome. My buddy Matthew Milligan has one and it sounds fantastic. I went for the bundle deal @BanjoBen had for Black Friday on the RK36. I love it! Worth every penny!!! Don’t think you can go wrong with any of the Recording Kings!

3 Likes

Sweet. Thanks for letting me know. How does the RK36 play up the neck? My Deering Goodtimes have had a tendency to get dull and plunky when played up the neck.

I’ve had a Twanger for almost 2 years now and I’m extremely happy with it. It sounds amazing and I always get compliments on it at jams. I have no complaints and you wouldn’t be disappointed with one. I don’t think you will have “the plunk” on any of the models mentioned above. There’s also a difference in the types of tone rings in the banjos so that’s something to keep in mind as well. Check these out if you haven’t already. Happy picking!

1 Like

Just played his today, quite nice for sure.

1 Like

I think you sold me on the Gold Tone OB-3. They all sound good, but the OB-3 has more “oompf,” at least to my ear. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

I agree. Right now I have a special running with a bundle deal when you buy a Twanger, just FYI. They do require some setup after the factory is done with them. Also, they come with medium strings but they want light strings. If you buy from us, request we put light strings on it at setup or buy some and make that the first thing you do.

1 Like

Glad I was able to help! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks. I was just wondering about string gauge.

I will not be in a position to purchase until sometime this summer, but I am planning to buy from the General Store because I trust your setup. I’ll be sure to ask for light strings. Thanks again.

3 Likes